• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone want to rough me a bodywork quote? (PICS)

xjh3

NAXJA Forum User
I had my Jeep parked and some douche on a motorcycle backed into it. Not sure how, doesn't seem like motorcycles have too many blind spots. Anyway, the kid goes to school here and said he'd pay for it and I'm just wondering how much I should ask him for. It's not too bad, but enough that it will bug me if I don't fix it.

dent1.jpg

dent2.jpg

dent3.jpg

dent4.jpg

dent5.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Wasn't exactly sure where to put this, hope OEM Tech is ok.

I doubt it would cost a grand, but aim high, and give him a lower number after you get the quote printed that you can show him. But if you ask him for too much, he is gonna tell you that he does not have it. Fix it as if you did this yourself and that way you get the good price and he can afford to pay you cash.

I was gonna say $700-800, but 1K isn't out of the range. A shop will compare whether it's cheaper to re-skin or just hang a new door.

Why not just take it to a body shop and get a written estimate? They don't charge for that and It'll just take a few minutes.

i`d tell him a grand get his $ then spend it on something useful its an xj if you do any offroading that little scratch isnt gonna be the last

I recently had to get the hood replaced on my '05 chevy 3500. $500 for new hood and $500 labor to paint and install (thank god for insurance on that one).

I know it's not the same thing but you get an idea how prices can skyrocket for bodywork.

WHAT DAMAGE... Trust me, that's not damage. You've never been to the Badlands or done any Midwest wheeling!!:D

That would cost you at least 500. Some kid kicked my truck and put a dent in it and the body shop wanted $500 to fix it. Ask for at least $700.

I wouldn't reskin it. You could dolly that out and shrink it a bit and it would be fine. I figure about $400-$500

Well, I know a guy who does REALLY nice work around home, I had him redo my tailgate around the window where it was bubbling up pretty bad. He had the glass company take the window out and put it back in and he did the body work. $260 to redo the entire tailgate and you wouldn't know he did it. Problem is he's 2 hours away and I probably wouldn't be able to make it there before 5:00pm on Friday.

As for those who say don't worry about: This is not an offroader. Yet. Someday when I'm on my own and I've got my 4 year degree and I have another car, it will be. So for now I want it to be nice.

Maybe I will try to get a quote locally and if it's higher than my guy wants, it can go towards those NY rust spots I need to get taken care of...

Did you get a police report?

Otherwise there's no proof this ever happened.

You can probably buff the scratches out and touch them up with paint, and pull the dent out with a toilet plunger maybe.... I wouldn't worry about it beyond that.

But yes, do get the money you deserve. Go to a few body shops and go with the one that has the most money. Then he can choose to go through insurance or not to pay.......that's his choice.

Good luck! But in all seriousness, that's nothing....although it is VERY incredible how you'd back a bike into something? He was probably just distracted by the major hardon he got from the vibration of his seat.

If you want to get an idea of what body work usually costs, click the link in my sig and look through both pages of accident pictures....they were two separate accidents. The first one was $3500 in the end (including a new hub on the left rear) and the 2nd one was $2700....I really wish people would stop hitting me.....

My best guess would be about $700...ish. That scratch is pretty deep though. You're lookin at about 80% or so of the cost just being labor in this one.

Atleast the kid was cool enough to own up to his mistake....don't really see much of that anymore.

I would ask around about good body shops in your area. I called my buddy who works at the Jeep dealer we the KJ from and got the name of a very good body shop that does a lot of work on Jeeps. I'm very impressed with their results from both repairs. Nothing worse than having it come out of the shop lookin like crap, such as the paint not matching.

just put some filler over it and let a shop paint it. Tell him it cost 500 bucks and keep the change to buy something useful.

after your first encounter with trail damage you wont care anymore.

the easiest path i think is to buy a matching junk yard door and do the swap yourself. just have the guy pay for the door, hardware, your gas and buy you lunch, then call it a done deal.

rag said:
after your first encounter with trail damage you wont care anymore.

the easiest path i think is to buy a matching junk yard door and do the swap yourself. just have the guy pay for the door, hardware, your gas and buy you lunch, then call it a done deal.

Agreed, It will be cheaper and easier on both of you. You'll just might have to wait a bit till you find one.
I wish the tailgate I nabbed from a junkyard was the same color, but I didn't have the time to wait. I needed a new back window and mine was too damaged to put a new one in. Now I have to pay someone to paint it or figure out how to do it myself.

Rub it out and get one of those paintless dent removal guys (the one with the rods) to massage the dents out. Should only cost about $100 at the most. Many do it for $60 a pannel.

I don't see how it's screwing him over......it was his fault.

Screwing im over would be blaming him and charging him for something he didn't do or damage.

But he did...

All is fair game in this situation.

Back