• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire punctured with wood?

srimes

NAXJA Forum User
I got new BFT A/Ts put on a month or two ago, and noticed a slow leak in one of the tires. I took it in today, thinking that the bead didn't seal, but they told me that it was punctured with a piece of wood, which they patched.

I've only been off road a few times on these tires, and nothing extreme. Just a couple of fields and a logging trail. How common is this kind of thing?

I once punctured my bicycle tire on a thorn.

hmmm....

yup.
That's as close as I get.

Seen a piece of straw go through a telephone pole so whats a tire. Seen punjii stakes in vietnam go thru boot soles, foot and come out the top. Not uncommon.

OK, I understand that it's possible, proven by the fact that it did happen. I've punctured a gas tank by running over small trees. I know wood can cause damage. The question is how _common_ it is. Do ya'll worry about running over sticks when off road? I never have, but now I'll wonder...

I usually don't even worry about glass on pavement, weather I'm in my car, on a bike, or walking barefoot. Unless they're big, curved pieces.

I've done it once, ran over a piece of Manzanita about the size and shape of a railroad spike (and likely nearly as hard).
I avoid brush that has been run over by a Cat. They splinter a whole bunch of really hardwood brush.
I actually ran steel belted radials (Pirelli) for a number of years in my buggies, no spare.

I popped an atv tire going over a willow stump once. All in all I'd say not very common, it's always a piece of metal of some kind that gives me a flat.

8Mud said:
I've done it once, ran over a piece of Manzanita about the size and shape of a railroad spike (and likely nearly as hard).
I avoid brush that has been run over by a Cat. They splinter a whole bunch of really hardwood brush.
I actually ran steel belted radials (Pirelli) for a number of years in my buggies, no spare.
You beat me to it.

Manzanita here also...smaller piece, but shaped just right.

Had a creosote bush puncture the sidewall of a BFG AT w/ less than a few hundred miles. Tire warranty covered it.

Was it an actual puncture or was it crap in the bead of the tire?

A puncture with a stick/wood/what have you usually isn't a slow leak. However BFG's are NOTORIOUS for getting crap in the bead of the tire. No big deal at all. In fact, 2 of the three tires on my Jeep right now have wood in the bead.

My reccomendation is to invest in an on board air system. Also a hi-lift jack can debead a tire very easily. Then you clean up the bead mating surface of the rim. Reset the tire and call it a day.

I ran BFG AT's for 5 years. They were constantly getting crap in the beads. No big deal, just a little extra maintenance. The only way to truly solve the problem is to run beadlocks.

KarlVP said:
Was it an actual puncture or was it crap in the bead of the tire?

A puncture with a stick/wood/what have you usually isn't a slow leak. However BFG's are NOTORIOUS for getting crap in the bead of the tire. No big deal at all. In fact, 2 of the three tires on my Jeep right now have wood in the bead.

My reccomendation is to invest in an on board air system. Also a hi-lift jack can debead a tire very easily. Then you clean up the bead mating surface of the rim. Reset the tire and call it a day.

I ran BFG AT's for 5 years. They were constantly getting crap in the beads. No big deal, just a little extra maintenance. The only way to truly solve the problem is to run beadlocks.

Not sure, that's just what the guy at the counter said, and he wasn't the one who fixed the tire. If it happens again I'll check for that. Thanks.

I ran a piece of locust right through the tread of a BFG-MT that was a week old. 'Only time it's happened to me.

I had a tree rip a hole in the side of one of my Goodyear Wrangler Carcassed Retreads. Sidewall puncture happen all the time. I had anoter sidewall puncture in my spare with was also a Wrangler but not a retread. Sidewalls arent as strong as i would like.

I've seen a chunk of gravel go through an at, but as far as wood I stay away from splintered logs and limbs, pretty much anything pointy :)

I work in a tire shop, and a large part of my job is fixing flat tires. I'd say that 90% of the things we pull out of tires are nails or screws, 7% are some other metal object, and the remaining 3% are the interesting things like wood, rocks, or tools. My favorites so far have been:

A pair of wirecutters that were in such good condition we kept them and use them in the shop

One of those small co2 canisters for airsoft guns and small paintball guns

A set of keys... there had to be 10 keys on the ring, and one of them punctured the tire and stayed in long enough to get to our shop - never did find the owner

Some piece of bone... it looked like a deer leg bone, but thats just a guess

And my personal favorite? A 9mm FMJ pistol round. The riced out eclipse pulled in right before closing, telling us a 'deal' had gone bad, and that some guy shot at them. I didn't believe it, but as we pieced the story together, we found a hole through the bumper, a hole through the tire, and a dent in the alloy wheel where the bullet finally stopped. The round was still inside the tire. I patched it for free, it was just such a good story.

I saw a 40' tall pine tree fly through the air and knock another palm tree out of the ground. Both trees then flew into the sky and out of sight.
Sounds like im nuts, however this happende on Guam during Typhoon Pongsona. It was the biggest typhoon in recorded history with sustained winds of 250 mph. By the way yes it sucked. Anyway point is a tree also hit one of those giant fuel storage tanks on the island and the damn thing exploded catching a few more of them on fire. So if a tree can do this your tire stands no chance.:flame:

Back