• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 disc conversion questions

Rocketman

NAXJA Forum User
Is there any reason why, with the proper custom-bolt-on caliper bracket, you couldn't use newer Wrangler D44 calipers and rotors for XJ D44 conversions?

All the conversion kits out there seem to use GM or Ford parts. Is it just a cost thing? It seems keeping it "in the family" so to speak would be easier.

I'll use a Ruffstuff for my XJ D44 once he fabs up a bolt on version to replace the stock bearing retainer. I'm having the JKS shorter, high clearance shock mounts welded on but I really don't wanna mess with the flanges.

you could make it work, but, the flange bolt pattern for the XJ44 is not the same as the flange bolt pattern on a TJ44. So, you'd be doing some redrilling on the caliper bracket.

I went the easier route. Used crown vic caliper brackets, and redrilled some TJ retainer plates. I did it due to price (found the caliper brackets for cheap) and since I would assume that redrilling the backing plates is easier than redrilling the caliper brackets (although I've never redrilled the caliper brackets...just an assumption).

I'd do the Crown Vic swap too, but finding 94 Crown Vics isn't a simple task. Junk yards in our area don't keep a list of vehicles. You've got to browse. I'd be hard pressed to know what a good one looks like let alone one smashed and in the bone yard.

I found mine brand new on Ebay, 50 bux shipped, with the Ebrake hardware and shoes!!

Rocketman said:
Calipers I can find. It's the caliper mounting brackets you can't find.

No, I meant that I found the caliper mounting brackets on ebay for 50 bux shipped. They have the drum inside the disc Ebrake setup, and so it's got small drum brakes, just for Ebrakes, that are part of the caliper mounting brackets. They came all setup, brand new! It's a shame I've never even hooked them up!!

If you're still 5x4.5 I have brackets for you. Pm me. I went to 5x5.5 and was running crown vics changed brackets and rotors and reused my calipers. Shoot if you need to rotors I have those too.

...Frank

Back