• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30: Vacuum Disco vs. Non-Disco

carlton989

NAXJA Forum User
I got a couple questions about the difference between a vacuum disconnect Dana 30 and a non-disconnect Dana 30. I have a 99 XJ with a Dana 30 non-disco with 3.55 gears and completely stock. I am about to re-gear to 4.56 front and rear and am looking at putting a lock-right in the Dana 30. I found a Dana 30 vacuum disconnect from an older XJ that has a lockright in it for a good price. My questions are:

1. Will the lockright from a vacuum disco Dana 30 work in my non-disco Dana 30?
2. Do I have to change the carrier when I re-gear it and add a lockright?
3. Will the axle shafts work from the vacuum disco Dana 30 in my non-disco Dana 30?

I am wanting to purchase the vacuum disco Dana 30 for the locker and spare parts (axle shafts, hubs, etc.). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Will

Yes. Yes. Yes and no.

You'll need to steal the carrier that goes with the 456s.

The drivers (short) axleshaft is the same, but other side is one piece in yours, and two pieces in a disco.

The hubs, maybe. If the donor is at least a 91, it should be fine. 90 and earlier were different...

Hope this helps...

Robert

awesome. Thanks Robert! That helps a bunch. So I can re-use the lockright, which is the main reason I want the axle. Can I find a uased carrier for 4.56 gears or should I buy a new one when I order the gears?

the carrier break is at 3.73 I believe, so a carrier from a 4.10 axle should hold the 4.56's, if you want to go junkyarding for one.

87manche said:
the carrier break is at 3.73 I believe, so a carrier from a 4.10 axle should hold the 4.56's, if you want to go junkyarding for one.

Sorry, yeah. I thought I read that you were getting the gears from the old axle, too. I need to read slower... If you're getting new gears, you will need to source a carrier.

'manche's idea is a good one: most standard shift XJ's ran 410 gears, so a junkyard carrier should be easy to find...

Robert

Back