• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle U-joint question

Semper Fi

NAXJA Forum User
When I turn left or right my Jeep makes a clicking noise and it can sometimes be heard when going in a straight line. I'm guessing that it's the U-joints in the axle, am I right? If I am right which ones do I order the greasable ones or the non-greaseable ones? In the Essential cataloge it has 2 different ones listed, a 260X and a 297X, how do I know which one I have? Thanks for the help.

First, what year is your XJ? This will determine which size you need.

Secondly, you should be able to physically see a broken U-joint if you look at it.

My personal opinion: Don't go with a greaseable joint unless it's a trail-only rig.

Semper Fi said:
In the Essential cataloge it has 2 different ones listed, a 260X and a 297X, how do I know which one I have? Thanks for the help.
260x or 297x depends what you're running - check out http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/history.html#axles and figure out what matches your circumstance, then go measure your endcaps.

1 1/16" endcap = 260x
1 3/16" endcap = 297x, upgradable to the 760x

Don't buy them through Essentials, just go down to your NAPA and get the Spicer units. Go ungreasable, but grease them thoroughly when installing.

My Jeep is a 2001 and if clicking noise isn't coming from the axle U-joints then where would it be coming from? could it be that all of the grease has been washed out of them?
I did look at your site yuccaman and I will take your advice on where to buy them, thanks

If they're dry, they won't necessarily look broken, but they can and will make a racket like you've described. If they're original to the Jeep, it's a safe bet that it's time to replace them. Look carefully at the unit bearing condition when you replace the u-joints though.

I bet that is what is wrong then because everything looks fine. I will check out the unit bearings also, thanks for the help

not trying to thread jack but I may have a bad ujoint too. It sounds really loud and some vibrations especially when backing with wheel cranked and at stops and starts on occassion. Tried moving the rear drive shaft but doesnt budge. Any ideas? Cant see anything wrong either.

Back