• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anybody running a York compressor on thier XJ?

Trail Blazer

NAXJA Forum User
I just installed my York compressor on my XJ (93XJ, 4.0. blah blah blah). I know i needed a longer serpinetine belt, but the one i got isn't long enough. Anybody know what belt i need? What lenghth? TIA

umm that depends on where you put it and what size of pulley you used. I am not aware of any bolt on york kits for serpinetine belts, if it is bolt on the manufacturer should know. Looks like you may have to measure and do some trial and error.

I have a York, but run it off a v-belt on a Kilby alternator pulley. What I did to get a belt that would fit it is take some string and run it around the pulleys and mark where the end met the string. Measured the length then went to Napa and bought the three sized belts closest to the length of the string (smaller, closest, larger). Then test fit them until I one fit, and returned the other two. Saved the part number for when the belt needs replacing.

You could try something similar, just run a string through the pulleys.

Is there a reason that the York is the top choice for an add on? Can't I just use any compressor?

I was thinking of doing ABO with stock pump, then got A/C going on wifes jeep, and now I would like to run mine (never worked). I have a compressor out of a '73 chebby chyan, but it is about 10" long and about 5" round. Could I just put that in? I also want to stick dual bats in the back and have more room under hood. A second alt would most likely be used for ABW. If I remove the stock air box ('93 w/4.0), can I put a second alt on one side, and a second compressor on the other side were the battery was?

Hey static do you have any pics of your setup? Mostly your bracket. How did you build it?

Okay, then I will use the chebby pump.

I've seen that "soon" listing on there for at least 2 years, if you want on you will have to make it. I used a sanden pump on my 89, same as stock. I moved my batt to the back and stacked another pump on the stock pump so I could keep the AC. make two brackets that looked like "Z"'s and then moked it up with two pumps off the truck and weled in some tubes in between them, the only mod I had to do in the Jeep was grind the ears on the aluminum braket to allow my ne bracket to fit between the ears of the bracket and the ears of the stock pump. It worked great, and I am thinking of doing the same on the 98, but I will have to make new brackets, the 98 is different, and I am thinking of going on the drivers side this time and not moing the batt.

the reason to use a york over any old air conditioner compressor is the york has it's own lubrication oil in the bottom end, it's a dual piston compressor (better pressure buidup) where as most other a/c compressors are rotary compressors, less efficient, and you need to run oil thru it while it's pumping or the pump will overheat and seize. I went the route of the kilby pulley on the alternator and the v-belt to the york. Good luck!

I use a Kilby bracket. I did have to cut a notch in it to get it to fit. The roll of film I took most of the pics of the instal on was trashed. My York has developed a pretty nasty case of oil blow, so I'm going to pull it out and try some different things to solve it. I'll be sure to take pics then.

Basically it mounts under the left side of the AC pump, with a support brace comming off the top right side.

When I bought my bracket Brad Kilby said the reason it's still listed as "comming soon" is because it's not a complete kit. I had to relocate the battery, wichi required a different intake (I used a small cone type) and relocation o the computer, there was an unexpected upper radiator hose clearance problem, fan to York clutch clearance issue.

OBA5.jpeg

Orange arrows are the rerouted upper radiator hose, red is the York, and green is the bracket and support.

More details here.

Back