• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shock bolts, have someone else do them?

alwaysready

NAXJA Forum User
silly thought i had when i was looking around at all the posts about shock bolts.
anyone ever think about taking the truck to pepboys and having them change the rear shocks?
even for cheap pep boys units.
that way theyll break all the bolt out for ya what will it cost ya?50-75.00?
better than everyone that spends half a day working on the same 4 bolts...
your thoughts?

What makes you think they're not gonna bend you over when they find out they have to do the extra work?

Most shop charge by the hour and they alway say its so much to do a job but if all hell brakes loose, who do you think gets ding...

Plus if the shop you paid 50$ to do a 2 or 3 hour job, I dont want to know whats the quality of the work.

I had sears do mine. I got 4 monroe sensatrack shocks and sears was foolish enough to include free instalation. Sure enough they snapped a bolt off and I stood there and watched the drill it out and retap it propperly for no charge. I am sure they hated me for it but it saved me some headaches. As long as I am standing there watching I will trust all the work done :)

You could take it somewhere and have some poor schmo go through the headaches, or you can man up and do it yourself, knowingly accepting the fact that it's not going to be easy. At least you'll feel like you accomplished something afterwards and not proudly say "Oh, the guy at Sears did a terrific job."

I always take it to sears and have the current 'sale' shock that includes installation. Just had the TJ done last summer and putting the lift on next weekend, the installer even anti-seized the bolts when he put them back in, I stood there and watched. As far as the XJ goes, I tend to pull bolts every spring, clean them, re-antiseize them and put them back in. Learned that lesson after fighting the rear bumper two years ago and ending up 1/2 pint low of A+...

Back