• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need advice on "bailing" out on my XJ or not to.

F9K9

Semper Fi
I am a new XJ owner. I purchased a '92 Limited this past January('07) for $2,200. It is a Limited with the 4.0 HO, AT, NP242, 160K, 3.5" RE SF, JCR stage 1 front and rear bumpers, JCR stage 2 sliders(rails), trimmed fenders, 33/12.50s, regeared to 4.10s, factory LS is way past worn out and the stock D35 repaced with a 8.25".

It runs well and starts every time. I was seeking a p/t DD and something to wheel with on a regular basis(2x monthly or more).

So far I have had the rear DS ujoint explode taking out the rear half of the 242 tc and the pinion yoke on the 8.25". I fixed both myself at a minimum of cost but, I have had to research a bunch.

I performed a tc drop and shims are ordered to correct vib issues.
I had to pull the rear diff to have a shop correct my pinion yoke R & R blunder. Rear drum brakes were completely replaced by me through research and your members excellent help.

Now the UCAs are toact and REs will be $229. When do you just "suck it up" and move on?

e9ce613d.jpg

e9ce6132.jpg

It's always a personal decision when to cut your losses, but don't let bent UCAs be the deciding factor. There are probably a bunch of guys who have stock control arms collecting dust in their garage who'd be willing to give you a pair for little or nothing.

I'm in the same boat with a 97XJ w/ 6" RE lift. I've probably put in over 2K. And it's my daily driver. I haven't even taken it offroad yet. I know the pain. I say keep plugging away. It will pay off in the end, when you realize you have a fully capable off road rig that can get you just about anywhere. That's how I look at it.

no_gamecocks said:
It's always a personal decision when to cut your losses, but don't let bent UCAs be the deciding factor. There are probably a bunch of guys who have stock control arms collecting dust in their garage who'd be willing to give you a pair for little or nothing.

Rats! I *just* trashed the stock UCAs off my '92 parts XJ. I'll have the stock set off my '94 available, but it will be a while. I'm sure you can get a set from most any junkyard for cheap money.

and when you do get a buddy to box them up with some scrap steel and a welder :D
or build new ones if you have a buddy with a welder..

on the bailing out part.
it depends do you like the truck?( if yes then move on to next ?)
does it do what you want it to do?( if yes then next ?)
are you going to make alot of changes?( if yes, maybe look at ones that are already built)
if no then keep it.
im in same boat. buying stock lifting slightly for a dd but nothing radical 3.5" 31's
if i was going more i would look for something already built, there are plenty out there, and they are always cheapier than the parts they have in them and you dont have to add in your own labor

Last edited:
XJsurf said:
It will pay off in the end

Is there really an end?

If you want boxed stock arms look at getting front arms off a, wj? IIRC they also have a slight bend to allow for larger tires but slight mod required to regain some old flex of missing channel arm

The channel design is to allow twisting and will allow more flex

Harlee&Tahoe said:
Is there really an end?

If you want boxed stock arms look at getting front arms off a, wj? IIRC they also have a slight bend to allow for larger tires but slight mod required to regain some old flex of missing channel arm

The channel design is to allow twisting and will allow more flex

yes and no.

Looks like there are plenty of positive opinions to just stick with it and I have decided to. I appreciate all of the input and yes it, is a personal decision. During the colder weather ( I have no garage) I thought that the rear main seal and oil pan replacement was high priority. I have had that stuff here and ready to be installed but, a couple warm weather weekends have passed and other issues came up, it is now low priority:doh:.

I went on a ride this past Saturday and a member (who owns a shop) is offering to build adjustable UCAs for his costs. He has $50 in his wife's XJ adjustable UCAs. I have found them on ebay for $148 versus RE's $229!

I have decided to not post questions like I did on this thread until more time has passed.

If, a newbie can offer advice to those that are in the mental state that I was in when I asked the question..................sleep on it, research and add another sleep period before you ask.

Thanks Guys!

Reed

Back