• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

just picked up an XJ D44...a couple worries

jacked

NAXJA Forum User
so i just picked up an 87 D44 today, about a 4 hour round trip to get it. it supposedly has around 152k on it, the pinion seal is gone but ill be regearing anyway, i just have a couple questions, when i regear and replace seals should i do the bearings as well? the guy said something about needing a case spreader to remove the carrier in these, is that true? the other thing that im uneasy about is the housing, the whole axle is real grimey and nasty but i guess thats expected, the housing though has real bad flakey rust in some spots, especially on top, is that something to be worried about? im just nervous that it will weeken the housing or possibly rust through, im going to clean it up and wire brush the whole thing and repaint it. any special paint i should use?

Dont' worry about the rust, the metal is really thick, it's just surface rust.

if it was properly oiled, the bearings are most likely fine. if you're keeping the gears, keep the bearings. obviously, when you regear, change bearings.

You don't "need" a case spreader, but it is kinda tricky to get the carrier out. I used a combination of sticking a rag in the gears, and a 5' pry bar. Put the bearing caps back on, just loosly, so that once the carrier comes free, it doesn't go flying.

Oh, and you'll want to RTV the outer edge of the axle seals before putting them back in, because they leak from the outside edge, not the edge around the axle shaft itself!

jacked said:
so i just picked up an 87 D44 today, about a 4 hour round trip to get it. it supposedly has around 152k on it, the pinion seal is gone but ill be regearing anyway, i just have a couple questions, when i regear and replace seals should i do the bearings as well? the guy said something about needing a case spreader to remove the carrier in these, is that true? the other thing that im uneasy about is the housing, the whole axle is real grimey and nasty but i guess thats expected, the housing though has real bad flakey rust in some spots, especially on top, is that something to be worried about? im just nervous that it will weeken the housing or possibly rust through, im going to clean it up and wire brush the whole thing and repaint it. any special paint i should use?
First do a few searches and you find a plethora of information on this very topic.

Anyway, I'll try and help a little:
- Replace Bearings? 100% Without a doubt yes.
- Case spreader? When I worked with my XJ D44 none was needed. Some time and a little convincing was required, but it came out.
- Rust? I can't imagine that you'd have as much rust to rust through the housing...
- Paint/Prep? If there's that much rust have fun with a wire brush... it'll take some time. I used a media-blaster and made sort work of that. For paint, I used a good rust-preventive primer and Rustolem Hammer Finish paint.

Good Luck.

mjma said:
Oh, and you'll want to RTV the outer edge of the axle seals before putting them back in, because they leak from the outside edge, not the edge around the axle shaft itself!

I disagree, No RTV should be used on the alxe seals. You should fill the void on the seals with wheel bearing grease. But the seals get inserted into the tubes 'dry'.

If yours are leaking that's a bad seal.

DaffyXJ said:
I disagree, No RTV should be used on the alxe seals. You should fill the void on the seals with wheel bearing grease. But the seals get inserted into the tubes 'dry'.

If yours are leaking that's a bad seal.

I noticed the leak about 2 weeks after I installed brand new seals. Why should I not use RTV there?

Also, I just bought another XJ with an XJ 44 in it, does the same thing....haven't taken it apart just yet.

Have another friend with an XJ 44, his does it to.....

what's your reasoning for not using RTV??

I would use RTV. Also pre-lube the seal before you install the axle shaft.

I pounded in a pinion seal yesterday and it had a ring of red rubber stuff around the edge so I didn't use silicone. On the seals that arn't coated in this gasket stuff I use the silicone. On the seal part itself allways coat it with grease. As far as cleaning your axel goes get 3 cans of the full strength full smell oven cleaner and keep it wet with oven cleaner for about an hour then pressure wash it. A couple of pry bars will get the carrier out or you can hold the ring gear from turning while you turn the yoke and the pinion kind of drives it out. Once it's loose it falls out fast so hang on to it it's heavy and has sharp corners for fingers and toes. Mark All bearing caps and spacer shims so you can put them back in the same place for set up. The bearing caps left and right ,up and down position is critical because of the way they line bore the housing with the bearing caps on. Maybe TMI but better safe than sorry and It sounds like you want to take it apart and clean it befor you get into the rebuild.

I installed a XJ D44 in my 96. I had it sandblasted and powder coated black for about $65 IIRC.
I used a small bead of RTV at the outboard edge of the seal and grease on the lip around the shaft to avoid running it dry.
The way I pull a case is to get some steel cable wrapped around it and use a strong pipe (floor jack handle) to yank it out.
Gotta change the bearings, having to do it over because of noisy bearings sucks.

to clarify, only RTV on the outer part of the axle shaft seals. the "seal" part of the seal, seals around the axle shaft. grease that part, yes, but the outer part that is supposed to be snug and tight in the housing...well, isn't so much. RTV there so that nothing leaks past it.

And to clarify, I did change the outer wheel bearings (ones that have to be pressed onto the shafts) but the carrier bearings looked great, and the pinion was solid (plus I didn't want to have to regear it). So after inspecting and finding all those bearings in good shape, I kept them as is and no problems yet. Only regret is that I didn't change the pinion seal before I did the swap! I knew I should have, just laziness. Mine had about 76k on it when I got it! Oh, and I really only changed the outer shaft bearings because I was changing the retainer plates...otherwise, the bearings were in great shape.

Back