• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Noise/axle components maybe?

mavrick

NAXJA Forum User
I have this clicking/popping sound whenever I slow to a stop with the breaks applied. Anyother driving i cant hear it or its not there. From another thread I was told maybe the axle u-joints. So i jacked the jeep up and spun the tires both front and year and i did not get the sound. But when I did this the back seem to spin with less friction and noise. When I did the front there seemed to be more friction. Any ideas on both the noise and friction?

The difference in the friction in the front would be from the disc brakes i would think , which is normal.
I do remember reading on this site somewhere about the clicking noise in the rear though as mine did the same coming to a stop.
Someone " thank you " whoever replied that it was because of the emergency brake cable being to tight , so i backed it off and sure enough that was it ! Who da thunk it ?
Hope this helps

Low Range said:
The difference in the friction in the front would be from the disc brakes i would think , which is normal.
I do remember reading on this site somewhere about the clicking noise in the rear though as mine did the same coming to a stop.
Someone " thank you " whoever replied that it was because of the emergency brake cable being to tight , so i backed it off and sure enough that was it ! Who da thunk it ?
Hope this helps

How do you loosen the parking brake?

Use a half inch deep socket where the 2 cables meet under the rig by the t case.
That being said, mine is doing it again after installing a lift so i backed it off to nothing ( cables are loose ) and it is still there .
It is in the brakes because when i let off the pedal it will stop ?

Help :huh:

Low Range said:
Use a half inch deep socket where the 2 cables meet under the rig by the t case.
That being said, mine is doing it again after installing a lift so i backed it off to nothing ( cables are loose ) and it is still there .
It is in the brakes because when i let off the pedal it will stop ?

Help :huh:

Same here, when i did it i thought it stop then i hear it again.

Upon further digging around i found this out , there is a tech memo or whatever its called thru Jeep that says it has to do with the drum hole not fitting the axle shaft correctly correctly and goes on to say that the fix is new axles? 250.00 each per the dealer here.
Idont have the number on it at the moment but will post it tomorrow when i find it. mine only does it now when you are going very slow
Annoying to me for sure. I might try some copper strips and then put the drum back on ?
There is another post on here that has the number etc. for the fix,cant remember which one though,sorry

Here is the number i got for the dealer about this,,,,,,TBS 05-05-00
Goes on to say about the axle shaft drum pilots being wrong size or non-existent.
Subject; Rear brake clunk or thump when brakes are applied
Date; May 26 , 2000

A clump or thump may be heard coming from the rear of the vehicle when the brakes are applied on some vehicles with 8 .25 inch rear axle. This may be caused by an axle shaft,which does not have a correct size brake drum pilot flange.

Ther must be 2 seperate pilot diameters on this area. The outboard diameter for the wheel ( 2.812 - 2.808 inches ) and the slightly larger inner diameter to support thr brake drum ( 2.832 - 2.826 ) inches. The brake drum pilot may be missing or mat not be deep enough to support the drum.
If the drum pilot does not adequetly support thr drum,some movement of the drum may occur when the brakes are applied causing this noise. if the condition is present ,perform the repair procedure.

In other words install new axle shafts.
think i will try a shim of some sort ?????

Back