• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Taurus Fan Installation

tkjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
First, my ride.
tauruselectricfaninstallation001.jpg

Straight from GOJEEP, the fused hi/lo supply lines, as well as the 2 relays.
tauruselectricfaninstallation003.jpg

Unlike GOJEEP, I mounted my taurus fan horizontally to cover as much of the existing rad/condenser/tranny cooler as possible. This is the bottom mount to the cross frame, cooler lines in view.
tauruselectricfaninstallation007.jpg

Not much room in there but with the mech fan and pully and part of the mount removed I had about 1/4" to spare! Mounted to the top with a piece of 3/4" by 1 1/4" steel angle. Very solid.
tauruselectricfaninstallation004.jpg

This shows the room available to the pulleys, tight.
tauruselectricfaninstallation005.jpg

Another shot of the room.
tauruselectricfaninstallation006.jpg

One more shot of the clearance.
tauruselectricfaninstallation008.jpg

Finally, a shot of my switch, from Princess Auto, a two position switch. I think I will remove the stupid looking stickers though. But it fit right into the stock switch hole.
tauruselectricfaninstallation010.jpg

Let me know what you think. Even with the fan on low I have yet to heat up on a moderate mud run. Since the high is 4500 cfm I dont expect to have a problem again, it sucks like a first rate uh... better not say, but she sucks well. Thanks. When I learn how to make the pics smaller I will, sorry, first tech write up.

Last edited:
Re: Taurus Fan Installation with pics

Total cost, fan $40.00, hd 75 amp relay $35.00 shipped, 40 amp relay $10.00, new belt(shorter) $25.00, jumper cable wire @ 8 guage free, miscellaneous electrical components $15.00. Total of maybe $125.00. Horsepower gain it's said of 4-5 hp, ability to turn the fan off for water situations etc is great, performs amazingly well. Thanks.

I would be worried with that tight a clearance that the engine will strike it. As the engine mounts age they allow more and more movement and even have some when new. If you have to slam on your brakes hard, even worse when going down a steep hill, the engine can move forward. Many fans have been chewed up this way by those even on this forum.
I have way more clearance than that and the same fan along with the A/C one as well for back up.

I agree with GoJeep.

I'd look into getting that fan tucked in closer to the radiator. Possibly by trimming it down some and putting the mounting tabs in front of the upper radiator support (will be a bitch to install but I'm sure you can figure it out).

I'll see how things work out for now, I do have a minimum of 1/4" to any moving parts but I can see your points. For now it works great and I'm happy with the clearance but I will keep a close eye on it. It's mounted right behind the tranny cooler, condenser and rad and with it mounted horizontally instead of vertically it covers more of the rad surface area, and there is absolutely no need for the other puny stock electric fan when I have the beast that's in there now. Also I dont want it too much closer to the rad for air movement.

Not to drag up an old thread, but did you remove the aux electric fan?

I've got a 2 speed fan from a 93 3.8L Mark VIII. Today I went to do some eyeball measurements, and it didn't look promising. For me it seems the only option is to remove the aux fan too.

I have done the same swap, and removed my aux fan... once this taurus fan is in, it moves plenty of air for all your cooling needs.
however when I mounted mine, I noticed I could leave enough room to keep the aux fan if I wanted too.
try dif ways of mounting the ford fan, and I think you'll find our you can make it work, if thats what you really want to do.

Here's a follow up question. I pulled my fan shroud tonight to do some more eyeball measurements, and my fan shroud looks different.

Fan%20007.jpg

Shamelessly "borrowed" from the go-jeep site.

Mine doesn't have the curved part at the bottom, it has nothing below where the flat parts on on either side with the mounting tabs. At this point, I'm very confused as to what the PO may have done to the fan setup.

Last edited:
Because most e-fans are already shrouded you can consider making a flat panel to mount the e-fan to which allows 2 additional things; it mounts the assembly to the radiator and enables the air to flow through the shoud.

I did my twin Taurus e-fan mod this way using 16 guage steel and carefully making a template that fits the mounting pattern. I'll try to get pics tomorrow.

i did like on gojeeps site- mounted the taurus fan vertically with the excess hanging below the radiator and then putting a trans cooler there. removing the mech fan pully will free up a lot of space for the taurus motor, then use a belt for an 83 jeep (full size) cherokee without power steering NAPA part #060820. works for me.

I tried to find my template, I feel it would show you the most info all in one pic... anyway here ya go:

From the front looking back, this shows the fan shroud riveted to the shroud plate and the height of my fans (I moved the coolant overflow hose up for the pic).
05-06-09_1500.jpg

This pic is from the passenger side and shows the seperation between the two fans.
05-06-09_1502.jpg

From the divers side you should make out the seperation and the top mounts.
05-06-09_1515.jpg

Because it was only 4 bolts and 2 plugs I pulled the fans;
05-06-09_1821.jpg

and,
05-06-09_1825.jpg

See that the bottom of the metal shroud on the passenger side is below the radiator thus straight lined: To do this I needed to clearance the metal by hammering it into a 'bowl" shape away from the fan so that the running fan wouldn't rub. At the same time the fan shroud portion of the metal is flat in order to accept rivets.

I hope this isn't a full blooded 'high jack'. :) Maybe I should venture to do my first write up? Anyway, good luck what ever you chose.

05-06-09_1825.jpg

Maybe I should venture to do my first write up?

[FONT=&quot]More information and photos please.
The fans appear to be two different diameters but yet you say they are both Taurus fans or is the smaller fan the XJ's aux fan?
I'm confused because they both have "Taurus" written on them.
Does "Taurus R" and "Taurus L" mean that the donor Taurus had both of these fans?
Do both of the fans ( or either) have two speeds? And how are you controlling them? Any idea how many amps they use in the various combinations.
Have you had a chance to run it hard in the summer heat or is this a new installation?

Any way, very interesting.
I like how the assembly is quickly removable, making the front of the engine more accessible.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]More information and photos please.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The fans appear to be two different diameters but yet you say they are both Taurus fans or is the smaller fan the XJ's aux fan? [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I'm confused because they both have "Taurus" written on them.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Does "Taurus R" and "Taurus L" mean that the donor Taurus had both of these fans?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Do both of the fans ( or either) have two speeds? And how are you controlling them? Any idea how many amps they use in the various combinations.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Have you had a chance to run it hard in the summer heat or is this a new installation?[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Any way, very interesting.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I like how the assembly is quickly removable, making the front of the engine more accessible.[/FONT]

X2 !!!!!!!!!! Im about to ditch the clutch fan for a taurus fan,, BUT i wanna keep the aux fan or maybe just put in a lower profile aux fan that is more efficient then stock.
I plan on buyin a controller for the taurus fan and will have override switches on both fans.

Any other pics and info would be AWESOMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

To let you all know from experience...too far towards the motor = pulley(s) rubbing fan motor, and chewing up belts...even with 1/4" of not running, flat ground clearance. Too much clearance and the clip that holds the blade to the motor will tear into the radiator. Shroud trimming really does need to be done, in my opinion.

...i wanna keep the aux fan or maybe just put in a lower profile aux fan that is more efficient then stock.

mount the taurus fan vertical instead of horzontal and you can keep your stock e fan. you can also put a trans cooler below the rad in front of the taurus fan to take advantage of the space

Back