• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ cage buildup, any ideas?

juryrigjalopy

NAXJA Forum User
I allready know what your gonna say...needs more triangulation. The question then is where? The current cage is not welded in as of yet, were still brewing up some ideas. The front part wont be done until after the interior is done. The whole thing is made out of 1.5" .120 mildsteel. Read my sig for the details of the XJ. There will also be 1" tube gussets all around.

This is the best I could do with photoshop, basically the standard small stinger attatched to radiator hoop, then going back to the cowl, down to the slider.

*there will be a bar going left to right on the top of the roof connecting the external A pillar bars. forgot to paint it in.*
untitled.jpg

More detail of the front *older picture*
frnt.jpg

dash bar, roof bar. cant really put any more above the head because of head clearance.
cab.jpg

basically an "x" from the B pillar hoop to the rear hoop, then bringing it down from the center to the back seat mount (seat not being used)
backdetail.jpg

More detail of the rear
backcab.jpg

Might as well used a crayon.

Isn't that your dad's junk?

This is mine but it never got built.

FileHandler.ashx

FileHandler.ashx

Thats perty. But Im not diggin the front part of the cage. It looks too boxy. I want a stinget on the front end kinda like my YJ but with the stinget going up over the grill. I could have had the entire cage done before finishing a 3D graphic like yours. MS paint works just fine for me(computers equivalent to crayon). And yea, its my Dads Jalopy, Im just his advisor. I actually have CATEA for this kinda stuff but I need to spend a couple of years learning it first.(dont ask me how I got it.

tirehump.jpg

make sure you make the A-pillar as close to the door as you can, As Tires get bigger youll need more clearance there.

Primary purpose to protect radiator, Engine, windshield, and to give you nice hood height slider bar. I slide on mine all the time, without them the sheet metal would be all torn up and not slide easily agains the rocks.

The front top corner of the hoop and top A-pillar roof nodes need to be strong to do their job, thats where I have the most dents.

the a pillar comes down right where the door closes. I know what your talking about though, my YJ is going under the knife because with shackle reversal it rubs/binds bad on the slider/fender.

Im diiggin this style of cage except with an A pillar inside too then tying it in through the body.

DSC00181.jpg

Back