• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil leak from my RE pre 96 Hack and tap (NP242)

I did a search and all leaks and fixes I came up with were around the seal leaking, but the oil leak on mine is comming out of the end of the shaft. I made a point of sealing up the end of the shaft with silicone gasket maker but its now leaking. I know the front is stopped by a rubber star washer but is there one that will fit for the rear?

This is usually caused by by the hack or the yolk ether not flat or out of round, and the yolk will "walk" on the splines. The fix is to keep putting on the sealler, try different types until you find one that lasts a while, I would think you want somthing that stays flexable.

It should be perfect since i had a machine shop do the cutting etc in their lathe. I do believe that my out of balance driveshaft could be the problem. I threw a weight and havent had it rebalances recently

Exact same problem, transfercase, also had cut by machine shop. Everything exactly the same. Was hoping to pull it this weekend and see if I can get or make a seal.

Twisted, just wanted to let you know I cut a piece of rubber and fit in the SYE and this took care of my leak. Just piece of innertube. Hope this helps

Back