• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Backspacing and lifts..

DesertXJ68

NAXJA Forum User
Is backspacing on wheels designed more for reducing rubbing or is it to make the Jeep more stable with a lift? I thought backspacing was to reduce rubbing. I was talking to a guy at work and was telling him the lift I want and he said it would be unstable with stock wheels and 4.5 inches of lift and that I should have wheels with less backspacing to make it more stable. But if I lift it with the RE 4.5 and fit 31's on stock wheels, will it feel unstable? I know everyone thinks you should put 32's on 4.5 but I like the way it looks with that combo. I am concerned with the stability though. Am I making something out of nothing or does that guy at work have a point?

To run 31x10.50's and avoid rubbing at full turn you will need 4.5" back spacing. 32's will require iether 4 or 3.5". Jeep stock wheels have 5.5". I don't think you will notice any difference in the stability (but I guess every little bit helps)with the difference that 1" of back spacing will provide. I run mine with 3.5" of back spacing. I just like the look of the wider trac. It also allows me to run 12.50's without having to buy new wheels. It sets the tread of the tire about 1/2" past the edge of the flair with the 10.50's.

Mine spends most of it's time as a commuter. To stabilize the rear a little I added a set of helper springs to make up for not having the rear anti-sway bar. (I also often tow a trailer.) It worked like a charm. Yeah the ride is a little rough in the back seat, but it's a Jeep. Besides that, I don't sit back there anyway.

If you are doing this on a budget like I did, check out tirepackage.com. I bought 31x10.50 FC2's on 15x8 (3.5" back space) steel Procomp series 97's. Mounted, balanced and delivered to my front door for about $700.00.

Last edited:
Back