• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Owner 1995 XJ Sport what to fix first

[email protected]

NAXJA Forum User
This is my First Jeep anything and I am looking for suggestions on what to fix first. I have been searching several forums and am looking forward to getting started on this XJ. I am open to any suggestions and have included several photos for your viewing pleasure.

DSCN0087.JPG

DSCN0086.JPG

DSCN0087.JPG

DSCN0090.JPG

DSCN0091.JPG

DSCN0092.JPG

DSCN0093.JPG

DSCN0094.JPG

DSCN0095.JPG

DSCN0096.JPG

DSCN0097.JPG

DSCN0098.JPG

DSCN0099.JPG

DSCN00100.JPG

Last edited:
First I would ditch the Euro tail lights.
Second I would remove the Sport Decals and the Huge 4x4 decals
Third I would step on euro tail lights
Fourth I would prioritize oil leaks, undercarriage rot, rocker panels, door rust.
Then I'd change diff fluids
Then change oil, plugs, wires, cap, etc
and the list goes on.....

91Woody said:
First I would ditch the Euro tail lights.
Second I would remove the Sport Decals and the Huge 4x4 decals
Third I would step on euro tail lights
Fourth I would prioritize oil leaks, undercarriage rot, rocker panels, door rust.
Then I'd change diff fluids
Then change oil, plugs, wires, cap, etc
and the list goes on.....

Euro tail lights, are going tomorrow. :wave1:

any thoughts on the E-break setup? What are the springs off the break cable for????

Yep, I'd agree.......remove the euro tails. Maybe scuff up and paint the chrome front bezels. The previous owner must have been in to bling, but was too cheap to make anything else match......so it doesn't match, paint it black. Remove the sport decal.....the 4x4 decals aren't toooo bad. If it's legal in your state, remove the mudflaps too. Then wash her, give her a waxing.....go to Target or wherever, look for this Meguires stuff in a black bottle made for removing oxidation and bringing back color/shine.....my 95 Country was a little dull and the Meguires stuff brought sexy back......well maybe not, it did however bring the shiny black back though!

Welcome to the forums!

Oh and by the way, the spring wrapped around the rear swaybar is supposed to go into the hole on the bottom of the unibody frame rail and attach to the ebrake cable

Last edited:
I would suggest fixing leaks from the front to the back-that way you know what is leak and what is just in the path of another leak.

I'd yank those door handles and hit that rust before it gets worse, it can have a tendency to really accelerate, sand it, prime it, spray it, worry about color matching later. If the door skins are really starting to rust consider finding a new set of doors. Consider herculiner or that other stuff I can't remember the name of right now. Maybe a camo paint job :D
Mechanically, all the fluids first, diffs, tranny, transfer case, coolant. I'd do a 7 hour coolant flush now that the really cold part of winter is hopefully over. Hoses, belt, idler pulleys, tstat, pressure cap, plugs, cap rotor, wires. Remove and clean all grounds. I'd also give the motor a good cleaning so you can spot any oil leaks better, you may have to R&R the CCV system too, look for any oil in the air filter/air filter box.
See if you can sell the euro lights on http://www.bmja.org or even here, we probably have some closet blingers on this board too :D :D They are not cheap, go to www.quadratec.com for a sample of prices...

I wouldn't touch the leaks until they really started leaking bad. (like a noticiable pool of oil on your driveway the next day)

Old Jeeps like to "sweat". It's really just part of the "Jeep thing".

If you look hard enough, you will find that just about everything leaks a little bit on old Jeeps. If you spend all your time and money on fixing small things your wasting time that could be spent wheeling.

I'm not saying you shouldn't fix things that are broke, just don't fix the things that are technically not broke yet. (gaskets that are holding in 99% of the fluid they are supposed to are still doing their job) Ever been to the train tracks to see big diesel locomotives/boxcars parked? See how oily and greasy they are? It's completly normal for them.

I think you will find that it is far more enjoyable to own a Jeep that has problems, because that way if you scatch or dent it off road you won't cry like a little baby with a immaculate Ford Mustang and a "keyed" door.

Last edited:
Thanks for every ones suggestions, the Euro Tail lights are history, looks much better with the stock ones. I fixed the drivers side door, it actually locks now. I then decided to tackle the e-break, since my FSM is still in the mail, can anyone tell me if this is what the adjuster is supposed to look like, or is something broke and missing?:looney:

DSCN0090.JPG

[/quote]

You might want to buy some degreaser and clean the hell out of the engine, tranny, t-case, axles and diffs. Keep a close eye on it for a week or so and see what leaks and if it is to the point where it requires immediate attention. I would definately do something about the rust around the door handles right away. I would guess that it has a heep of miles on it and has never received a proper tune up. After that, just make a list and knock it out one thing at a time.

I'm much more about function over form, but them tail light things just gots to go! Scuff everything on it that has been chromed and hit it and the bumpers with some flat black.

another thought would be to ebay the chrome pieces for black if your going that route someone might just want that chrome..or put up a wanted to trade ad even on here maybe make $$ on them.. i dont know how much they are worht if they are original or even not original.

skip the degreaser and buy a cheap 99.00 pressure washer youll find more uses for it then the truck. besides youll need it for when you go wheeling.
or on the motorcycle/ 4 wheeler moms car to score points etc.. :D

Thanks for every ones suggestions, the Euro Tail lights are history, looks much better with the stock ones. I fixed the drivers side door, it actually locks now. I then decided to tackle the e-break, since my FSM is still in the mail, can anyone tell me if this is what the adjuster is supposed to look like, or is something broke and missing?:looney:

DSCN0090.JPG

Any thoughts on this E-Break adjustor, is this normal??:huh:

Dude! Welcome to jeep world! First project? Cool. I would recomend you start with a frontal labotomy. Tell them to just shave a little around the edges.

Check your transfer case fluid level. It looks like it's been leaking a while. Just driving around, the first indication of low fluid in the T-case is when you fry it.

RichP said:
I'd yank those door handles and hit that rust before it gets worse, it can have a tendency to really accelerate, sand it, prime it, spray it, worry about color matching later. If the door skins are really starting to rust consider finding a new set of doors. Consider herculiner or that other stuff I can't remember the name of right now. Maybe a camo paint job :D
Mechanically, all the fluids first, diffs, tranny, transfer case, coolant. I'd do a 7 hour coolant flush now that the really cold part of winter is hopefully over. Hoses, belt, idler pulleys, tstat, pressure cap, plugs, cap rotor, wires. Remove and clean all grounds. I'd also give the motor a good cleaning so you can spot any oil leaks better, you may have to R&R the CCV system too, look for any oil in the air filter/air filter box.
See if you can sell the euro lights on http://www.bmja.org or even here, we probably have some closet blingers on this board too :D :D They are not cheap, go to www.quadratec.com for a sample of prices...

Good call on selling those off, I posted them on E-bay and they are already over $100. That covers the cost of my FSM, and the body stuff for the doors. Now on to the leaky stuff underneath.
:party:

Back