• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rusty floor - carpet, Herculiner, and other options

br1anstorm

NAXJA Forum User
Took out the seats and front-area carpet from my 1993 XJ a while back, and found the usual problem - rusting floor on the passenger side. So I had a local workshop cut and weld in a patch, and then I cleaned down, primed and painted the inside surface, undersealed the whole of the underside of the chassis, and put the carpet back.

So far so good... and no sign of any leaks to make the carpets wet again. But I decided to check the floor periodically to make sure, and I've just taken the whole of the inside carpet and trim out. The floorpan is in pretty good shape for a 14-year old vehicle. But there are spots of surface rust on the original part of the passenger side floor, and some similar surface rust on the rear luggage-deck floor - especially around the spot-welds and where screws go through the floor eg for the spare-tyre support bracket (it really is pretty cheapskate of Jeep to put bolts and self-tapping screws straight through the chassis floor panel where they get exposed to water, mud and salt...)

Anyhow, I'm going to clean and treat the rust, and sand, prime and repaint the whole floorpan. Might use POR-15 if I can find it over here in UK. Then I want to put the carpets back - it's a daily driver, I want the sound and heat insulation, and offroad I do deserts, not muddy rivers. But the felt lining bonded under the carpet is deadly stuff for holding any dampness and is the prime cause of rusty floors. So I'm thinking about alternatives. (does that mean I should be posting this in the "Modified Tech" forum?).

Even though the underside is pretty well sealed, I don't want to Herculine the interior - because there's a risk that even the slightest bit of rust left lurking on the panels, or the tiniest seam or joint left untreated, means that rust could then spread totally unseen. Once the liner is on, there's no way of checking what state the metal is in underneath it.

So here's my question: what else can I use as underlay between the floor panel and carpet that will insulate, but won't soak up and hold any water that happens to get in? I've seen people refer to Reflectix, Peel & Seal, and stuff like Dynamat (in the UK the brand-names are different...). What experience have others had with alternatives to the factory-fit felt underlay stuff? Any suggestions as to what else I might use?

br1anstorm

I'm going to be getting under the rug in my '92 soon due to having gotten some water in over the last year or two, and your thought about being able to inspect afterwards made sense to me.

I wonder if something like the rubber floor mats that people park treadmills on would be a good alternative? It'd be non-porous so it wouldn't soak up water, but I'm sure it'd have some noise/heat deadening properties.

Got to do some thinking now...

Thought that I should report the results of my efforts to preserve and protect my '93 XJ floorpan...

In the end I sanded down the entire floorpan. The original factory-dip paint was thin and didn't adhere well, but all the metal was intact and rust free, except... along the seams where the rear wheelarches joined the floor, the factory had used mastic sealant - and under that sealant was, yes, RUST. Water had obviously seeped upwards within the joint and rust had crept under the sealant. So I stripped that out, and cleaned and treated those little areas.

After that, the paint sequence was
1) zinc-rich primer on the joints where rust had been;
2) a coating of red oxide primer over the entire floorpan;
3) two coats of special metal paint (like smooth Hammerite, but I used another - German - brand).

Then I put down
4) rubber-mesh matting, cut to shape - the stuff that is normally sold as a non-slip mat to put under rugs, and also sold as non-slip drawer-lining;
5) 'Reflectix', aka 'Thermocool' or similar, aluminium insulation - like bubble-wrap but coated with foil;
6) commercial/industrial carpet underlay - made of foam but with a plastic 'skin' each side. I cut it to shape and sealed the edges with duct tape;
7) then reinstalled the original rubber-backed fitted carpets, complete with the absorbent felt underlay.

This means that even if the carpets get damp, the moisture won't contact the metal floorpan. And any water that creeps in from below (eg through the seams) won't be soaked up by that factory-fit felt underlay.
In any case, I can fairly easily get the carpets etc up again whenever I want to inspect, whereas Herculiner would conceal any rust attack.

With Waxoyl applied to the outside/underside, I'm hoping my Jeep will stay rust-free!

If anyone wants to see pics, I can post some up...

br1anstorm

br1anstorm said:
Thought that I should report the results of my efforts to preserve and protect my '93 XJ floorpan...

In the end I sanded down the entire floorpan. The original factory-dip paint was thin and didn't adhere well, but all the metal was intact and rust free, except... along the seams where the rear wheelarches joined the floor, the factory had used mastic sealant - and under that sealant was, yes, RUST. Water had obviously seeped upwards within the joint and rust had crept under the sealant. So I stripped that out, and cleaned and treated those little areas.

After that, the paint sequence was
1) zinc-rich primer on the joints where rust had been;
2) a coating of red oxide primer over the entire floorpan;
3) two coats of special metal paint (like smooth Hammerite, but I used another - German - brand).

Then I put down
4) rubber-mesh matting, cut to shape - the stuff that is normally sold as a non-slip mat to put under rugs, and also sold as non-slip drawer-lining;
5) 'Reflectix', aka 'Thermocool' or similar, aluminium insulation - like bubble-wrap but coated with foil;
6) commercial/industrial carpet underlay - made of foam but with a plastic 'skin' each side. I cut it to shape and sealed the edges with duct tape;
7) then reinstalled the original rubber-backed fitted carpets, complete with the absorbent felt underlay.

This means that even if the carpets get damp, the moisture won't contact the metal floorpan. And any water that creeps in from below (eg through the seams) won't be soaked up by that factory-fit felt underlay.
In any case, I can fairly easily get the carpets etc up again whenever I want to inspect, whereas Herculiner would conceal any rust attack.

With Waxoyl applied to the outside/underside, I'm hoping my Jeep will stay rust-free!

If anyone wants to see pics, I can post some up...

br1anstorm

pictures please. kay thanks :eeks1:

canadian_xj said:
Dude, I would love to see pics too! I am about to tackle that very same job on my '91.

Nice write-up!
Oh dear... looks as if I made an offer the forum won't let me deliver!

I thought (but didn't check) that I could post up photos as attachments. But the small print of the forum instructions appears to say that I may not post attachments. And although the FAQ suggests it ought to be possible, it seems that this depends on whether the forum administrator allows attachments. So unless I've missed some instruction somewhere it looks as if I can't add photos. If anyone can explain how this can be done, I'll be happy to upload pics. But for the moment, apologies to those who asked to see them!

Oh and by the way, Slo-sho, I did use phosphoric acid - which is sold commercially as rust-remover/converter under the retail brands of Kurust, Jenolite, etc.

br1anstorm

Back