• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE, Will I need it?

XJ longhouse

NAXJA Forum User
:repair: I have a 97' xj with a 2.5L in it and a 8.25 rear axel and a 5-speed. I'm planning on getting a RE 4.5" lift with 31's or 33's. I've heard that I should be ok without useing a SYE but will tire size change that? and does the 4 banger have enough power to pull 33's.

If a SYE does have to be installed would It be more benificial to just buy a RE5.5" LA insted,

The more info I can get the better thanks

haven't ran 33's with a 4 banger XJ, but i did with my old 'yota. i've also seen wranglers with the 2.5 liter and 33's. it should be fine as long as you regear. 4.56 or 4.88 would be preferable. as for s.y.e. you might need it, might not at 4.5 inches. sometimes at 3 inches you need one and sometimes you don't need it until after you go over 4.5 inches. better have it budgeted just in case.

ya one of my freinds has a yaota with 35's and a 22R in it with 4.10 gears and it could use gears for highway use but it still does pretty good off-road,

from what I've seen nobody makes 4.88s for the chrysler 8.25 rear end, has that changed yet?

Yup. 4.56 is as low as you can go with a 8.25.....but with 33's and a 2.5, you need 4.88....otherwise 5th gear is useless. Get a 8.8 Exploder axle...then you can gear it AND get rear disc brakes to boot....and you will need the better brakes with the bigger tires....as far as the sye goes...maybe...pay attention to your pinion angles....I dont know how long your stock rear drive shaft is, but it could/may be longer than a rig with a 4.0 drivetrain....if that is the case, you may get away without a sye...

You will most likely need an SYE. I have about 5" on my '01 and it is getting the SYE this weekend. When it was at 4" it was borderline needing one.

Glen

Back