• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ Steering

BIgDaddyChia

RRC Organizer
I saw some one post about this upgrade. Has anyone done it. Do I replace the drag link and the tie rod and TREs' or is it just the TRE's and the tie rod.

All you need is the tie rod, ends, and an adjuster collar.

ES3096L - drivers side tie rod end
ES2079S - adjuster sleeve
DS1312 - tie rod

If you wanted to do this half (but dont need it)

DS1238 - drag link
ES3096L - tie rod end at pitman arm

I never bought these parts retail, but for some reason have these prices noted:

es3096L = $34.99 x2
ES2079S = $19.69 x2
DS1312 = $62.99
DS1238 = $97.49

I've replaced my draglink with a late model ('99 XJ) unit which was stouter than the stock '90 I had and then grabbed a low mileage ZJ tierod at the wrecking yard.

The ZJ tie rod is essentially as stated above, a really long PS tierod end, an adjusting collar and clamps and a DS tie rod end that is much shorter and similar to a stock XJ unit is style.

The PS side TRE is basically one big hunk of barstock. The whole thing is pretty heavy, considerably larger in diameter than stock and should be a cheap upgrade for you.

Mine bolted right after getting the length dialled in close, then a quick toe adjustment and it was good to go.

The stock XJ unit goes into the back as a spare. Not a bad deal for $10.

I found i have a bent tierod this weekend while checking my alignment. This thread came up in a search.

I have a V8 ZJ tierod and end i just bought for a ZJ project i'm working on, i plan to install this on my 94.

My question...can i also use this ZJ tierod with the Goferit bushing i have in the tool box? Any issues with this? I dont want to drill out the knuckle and get a 'gotcha" situation.

TIA

John B said:
I found i have a bent tierod this weekend while checking my alignment. This thread came up in a search.

I have a V8 ZJ tierod and end i just bought for a ZJ project i'm working on, i plan to install this on my 94.

My question...can i also use this ZJ tierod with the Goferit bushing i have in the tool box? Any issues with this? I dont want to drill out the knuckle and get a 'gotcha" situation.

TIA

TRE is the same. I have the ZJ tierod and goferit bushings.

RedHeep said:
TRE is the same. I have the ZJ tierod and goferit bushings.

bushing on just the driver's side or on both?

DeftwillP said:
bushing on just the driver's side or on both?

The tierod end taper is the same for an ZJ and an XJ. If you're going over the knuckle with a RHD draglink, the bushing for the driver's side is the only one that has anything ZJ. The draglink goes into the passenger side knuckle and the other end of the ZJ tierod fits into the draglink.

ZJ drag link on my MJ:

Picture016.jpg

comparison, side by side, ZJ on left and stock XJ/MJ on right:

Picture006.jpg

Swaped mine in. I went under knuckle with it as it "seemed" that clearance would have been an issue with my JKS disconnects. The pass side end comes very close to the JKS.

I hadnt looked at the tierod closely before i installed it, i originally assumed the S bend towards drivers wheel actually went out towards the front of the vehicle...and not up.

I swapped the entire ZJ steering. The only problem I have is the junction where the tie rod and drag link meet rubs the steering stab mounting bolt.

Tom R. said:
I swapped the entire ZJ steering. The only problem I have is the junction where the tie rod and drag link meet rubs the steering stab mounting bolt.

I had that same problem when i ran ZJ steering. I heated the draglink with a torch and bent it out a little.

I know this thread is a couple of weeks old, but I hope you guys can clear something up for me...

This is the first I've heard of anything contacting on the steering when changind over to a ZJ set up. Does anyone know if this is a common problem? Can the head of the bolt (or the nut, depending on what rubs) on the steering stabilizer be ground a little instead of bending the new tie rod?

Thanks,
Geoff

Mine is in the process of self-clearancing itself :) It's not a DD, so I don't care. I figured it was because of the OTK bushing I put on, not the ZJ tie rod ??

gcam said:
I know this thread is a couple of weeks old, but I hope you guys can clear something up for me...

This is the first I've heard of anything contacting on the steering when changind over to a ZJ set up. Does anyone know if this is a common problem? Can the head of the bolt (or the nut, depending on what rubs) on the steering stabilizer be ground a little instead of bending the new tie rod?

Thanks,
Geoff

The tie rod has no steering problems; the drag link does. If you just use the ZJ tie rod and an XJ draglink, you will have no problems.

I used ZJ parts for both, and just let it self clearance. In my case, it was hitting a JKS disco, and it ended up destroying the rubber in my disconnect.

Back