• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OME 930 Coils v.s Rusty's 2" Coils

Markos

NAXJA Forum User
All:

I'm puting together an OME lift. If I don't buy it online from one of our well known OldManEmu retailers, I'm going to peice the kit together myself. I'm still waiting on a quote from one of these retailers...

I was thinking of spending $99 on Rusty's 2" coils versus 930 coils at $299 plus a $30 spacer kit. I called Rusty's this morning, and their 2" springs have a rate of 150lbs versus 160lbs for the 930's. Regardless of coils selection, I will be using OME shocks...

I've read good reviews of the 3" Rusty's spring. Any comments on my OME/Rusty's Hrybrid setup?

Originally posted by DubaiXJ:
Front Coil Springs:

OME Part #___Application_____________Rates_______Free Height_____Est. Lift
OME930______Light / Standard Load_____160 lbs/inch__18.7"____________1.75"
OME930______Heavy Load_________________________________________1 - 1.5"
OME 931_____ZJ I6___________________140 lbs/inch__20.08"___________1.5 - 2.5"
OME934______ZJ V8________________ _180 lbs/inch__20.08"___________2 - 3"
OMEJGF10___Trim Packer_________________________10mm

Notes:
1) Left and Right springs typically have a 12mm Free Height difference to compensate for height or load variations between the left and right side of the vehicle, i.e. trimming.
2) Lift is only an estimation.

Rear Leaf Springs:

OME Part #__Dakar Part #__Application________Rates________Camber__Est. Lift
JC1A_______CS034RA_____Medium Load________148 lbs/inch___230mm___3"
JC1B_______CS034RB_____Medium Load________148 lbs/inch___205mm___2.5"
JC2A_______CS035RA_____Constant Heavy Load__137 lbs/inch,
____________________________________________257 lbs/inch overload
__________________________________________________ _______235mm__2 - 3"
JC2B_______CS035RB_____Constant Heavy Load__137 lbs/inch,
____________________________________________257 lbs/inch overload
__________________________________________________ _______210mm__1.5 - 2.5
JCXL____________________Add-a-Leaf __________+20%_________________1"
OMEU60_________________U BoltDana 35
OMEU57_________________U BoltChryCo 8.25"

XJGK01__________________Transfer Case Drop Kit

I have the OME with zjv8 up front. I think mediums in the rear. I have not installed any other lift kit besides the OME. That being said, I would stick with all OME stuff if you have the cash. I've beat the snot out of mine for3 yrs now and the kit has really held up well. The jeep sits a little higher in the back, not much. This kit is perfect for anyone that wants a great ride, towing ability, and doesn't want to constantly have to fix or update their lift kit. Now if you have inchitis I wouldn't recommend it becuase anything over 3 inches you will be in a whole new ball game.

Good Luck

930 Coils for $299??? They're not that much...not even close....but I agree with tsill...I'd stick with OME all the way around.

JNickel101 said:
930 Coils for $299??? They're not that much...not even close....but I agree with tsill...I'd stick with OME all the way around.
X2 that's way too high! I had a place here in town quote me like $66 or $67 per coil. I'd stay away from that place if I were you.

The price of the coils alone isn't really relavent. I guess I should have excluded that peice. I can purchase from one of our known out-of-state vendors for $759+$140 in shipping comming to $930 plus another $60 for u-bolts and bushings = $1008. It's a wash for me no matter what, even if the coils cost more locally. However, if I buy Rusty's springs at say $130 shipped, I save $170...

I'm more concerned about the performance of rusty's coils. I know you get the value in the OME leaf packs (even though they sag). I've never been a big fan of Rusty's products, but I've read good things about his coils (on NAXJA)...

thats because his coils are RE coils...
I wanted to order his 2" coil, now I am thinking about the 3.5" RE just because I don't want to deal with his shipping...what size tire are you planning to run? Have you found any vendors that sell his shit to avoid dealing with him directly?

I've never heard of OME leaf packs sagging....unless you get ones for light/medium load and carry 300 pounds of gear and tools, plus a rear bumper tire carrier....

IMO, go with Dirk at DPG Offroad for anything OME....I'd bet his prices (and shipping) would beat anyone's around. Had my springs in less than a week, and they shipped directly from ARB USA in Washington...plus u-bolts and his bump stop plates....

Jeepinoutfitters.com has a kit with all 4 leaf spring bushings for $20...

thats because his coils are RE coils...
I wanted to order his 2" coil, now I am thinking about the 3.5" RE just because I don't want to deal with his shipping...what size tire are you planning to run? Have you found any vendors that sell his shit to avoid dealing with him directly?

Are you sure that the 2" springs are made by RE? I ordered by 2" BB from him way back when and I don't recall having any shipping issues. I can't say that I have a very high regard for his products, but I'm considering the springs. Honestly, if the springs are made by RE, that's a plus+

've never heard of OME leaf packs sagging....unless you get ones for light/medium load and carry 300 pounds of gear and tools, plus a rear bumper tire carrier....

IMO, go with Dirk at DPG Offroad for anything OME....I'd bet his prices (and shipping) would beat anyone's around. Had my springs in less than a week, and they shipped directly from ARB USA in Washington...plus u-bolts and his bump stop plates....

Jeepinoutfitters.com has a kit with all 4 leaf spring bushings for $20...

Search NAXJA for OldManEmu. There are multiple accounts of OME springs sagging. I think people like to say that they are 'settling' since they paid so much for them...

Dirk's price is $759 plus $38 in tax and at least $140 for shipping. Add $30 for U-Bolts plus $30 shipped for bushings from jeepinoutfitters. That's $1,000.

Last edited:
Markos said:
Search NAXJA for OldManEmu. There are multiple accounts of OME springs sagging. I think people like to say that they are 'settling' since they paid so much for them...
Well my friend I will prove you wrong! I've had the OME DAKAR hd rear springs in for one full year. I tow with this XJ weekly and wheel it occasionaly on the weekends. This pic shows my XJ with 200# of gear and tools in the rear and 170# of tongue wt. from my 3100# bass boat. I'll put OME leafs against anyone's on quality and durability.

jeepboatsideview2lr.jpg

One year later still no sag!
shinny96ai6.jpg

They flex well too, this was a pic I took checking my bumpstops 3 weeks ago.
flex1vw0.jpg

Last edited:
I guess some people do directly corrolate sagging with settling....to me, sagging is when your leafs start to frown.....lol

I ordered my OME from OK 4wd a little over a year ago, here were the prices at the time;
OME 930 fronts $61.95 each
OME CS035RA rears $124 each
Nitro N35L $71.95 each
Nitro N36L $71.95 each
OME U57 $14.99 each
TeraFlex 1.5 shacks $60 pair
ACOS $199 set
$70 frieght

I also added a Tom Woods shaft and Advanced Adapters SYE

http://www.ok4wd.com/

I came up with a new solution that doesn't involve rusty's springs. I'll be using a different type of 2" non-OME 160lb spring. I'll report back in a few weeks after I get the parts and install them. Thanks!

I run Rusty's 3" coils (not on purpose) and the standard length OME shocks in the front.

I feel these shocks are about 2 inches too short with 3" lift. They are way too easy to fully extend while flexing.

JMO.

I run Rusty's 3" coils (not on purpose) and the standard length OME shocks in the front.

I feel these shocks are about 2 inches too short with 3" lift. They are way too easy to fully extend while flexing.

JMO.

Dirk:

Would it be safe to say then that standard OME shocks are 1" to short on a 2" lift? Should I get the long travel shocks instead? I'm going with a 2" lift, and skipping the rusty's coils.

Thanks in advance for the help. I decided to go with a local vendor who supports our offroad club. They rarely deal with OME stuff, so I'm calling the shots on part selection...

my rustys 3" rides good and once settled, hasn't moved in 2 years/ 25k miles.

My definition of settling is when your suspension lowers from its 'first installed height' to its 'final height'. This usually happens relatively quickly. Final height should be at least the advertised height.

Sagging to me is when the suspension loses height over an extended period of time, and is below final or advertised height. Basically the spring has 'worn out' and lost its ability to hold the weight it did when new.

If you install a 3" lift and get 5" out of it, then within a few weeks/100's of miles it sits at 3.5". Then 5 years and 70k miles later its sitting at 2.5". The 3.5" hieght is what it settled to, the 2.5" is what it sagged to.

this is with stock weight.

Markos said:
Dirk:

Would it be safe to say then that standard OME shocks are 1" to short on a 2" lift? Should I get the long travel shocks instead? I'm going with a 2" lift, and skipping the rusty's coils.

Thanks in advance for the help. I decided to go with a local vendor who supports our offroad club. They rarely deal with OME stuff, so I'm calling the shots on part selection...

You would probably be fine with the standard length shocks, and maybe perfect with a bpe or shock extender like Detour makes.

The best way to do this is to order all your springs and install them to get your two inches lift. Then will the swaybars off, flex it out and order the shocks that offer the best match to the extended and compressed lengths based on your measurements taken at full drop and stuff.

It will not hurt anything to drive with your stock shocks while you are waiting on your new ones.

HTH

Back