• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Play in front drive shaft

splitz

NAXJA Forum User
My buddy, who I couldn't convince to to XJ, has a TJ with 4.88s & a TeraLow kit installed. When you shift gears, there is a clunk coming from the front end. It seems that there is a lot of play in his front drive shaft, even when 4wd is engaged.

Does anyone know what causes this? I'm sure its not good.

Where is the play? At the ends where the U-joints are? In the middle where it expands and contracts?

If it's the u-joints it's a pretty easy fix. The slip part, can't remember what it's called, is more of a pain. You either have to get it rebuilt at a driveshaft shop or swap in another shaft.

teralow?

check the t-case chain...

what front locker? if its an aussie locker, lock right, powertrax or anything like that - there will be play as the cross shaft is loaded...

also check the u-joints and slip joint...

more reading on driveshafts here:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-shaft/index.html

Jeep914x4 - The play definately is coming from the ends of the DS, not in the U-joints.

XJ Ranger - you must be clarvoiyant or something! Yeah, it has a Eaton EZ Locker up front.

How much play is too much?

splitz said:
XJ Ranger - you must be clarvoiyant or something!

I can think of a lot of things that "XJ RANGER" is, clarvoiyant wasn't on the list ;)

splitz said:
Yeah, it has a Eaton EZ Locker up front.

How much play is too much?

the EZ locker works by loading the cross shaft into the side gears and jamming the doggs into the side gears, this takes about a 1/4 turn of the ring gear to accomplish before the tires turn - and 1/4 turn of the ring gear is (depending on the ratio) about 1 full driveshaft revolution...

Id also be willing to be money that he has a 5 speed and only notices the slop when getting on or off the clutch...

I know all this, 'cuse I have a 5 speed and a lunchbox locker :gee:

XJ_ranger said:
Id also be willing to be money that he has a 5 speed and only notices the slop when getting on or off the clutch...

Right again! Damn you're good.

XJ_ranger said:
I know all this, 'cuse I have a 5 speed and a lunchbox locker :gee:
Oh, you are speaking from experience, well that's no fun.

So I'm guessing this is something we shouldn't worry about?

Back