• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tools in the tranny

jeepnuts311

NAXJA Forum User
hey all

while attempting to change out the CPS on my heep, i dropped my 11mm socket INTO the bellhousing before i got the first bolt off....trying to get the second bolt off, i dropped my 11mm box end wrench and that mother effer dropped down in the bellhousing as well...i took the inspection plate off the bellhousing and couldnt see the tools, what would be the preffered method to extract these.

-TIm

Pull the motor, retreive tools, and install a brand new stroker motor...See if you can slide that one by the wife!:lecture:

You should be able to unbolt the transmission (you'll need an E12 socket, if the upper bellhousing screws are still original...) slide it back, and have the tools drop out. They're behind the torque converter.

You'll need to unbolt both driveshafts to get enough room to slide it back - and if you have a transmission jack, it's MUCH easier... You don't need to totally drop the transmission and take it out, but you do need to slide it back 4-6".

You can replace the upper bellhousing screws with 3/8"-16 hex heads, or just replace the screws with studs to help locate the bellhousing.

If you leave the torque converter screwed to the flexplate, and don't move anything! I think it will go back in fairly easily. If not, unscrew the TC, set it into the transmission, and then mate it up that way.

upon reading this, I ran down to the garage to look at my spare trans.- it looks as though you would have room to get 'em out from under the converter-- I don't however have the flexplate on it to verify:(
if you think there's room, slowly rotate the engine at the crank and cross your fingers- hopefully they'll drop off the back of the comverter and down to where you can get a magnet on 'em.
--Shorty

oh, and thanx alot! I'm gettin ready to change mine and now I've got something else to worry about until I get to it!:rattle:

Just an additional comment: If at all possible, find and use the plastic dust cover when you put it back on. Not only will it prevent tool loss, but it will also help hold the sensor in place while you fumble for the holes.

Yeah, and use a better quality extension, or stick a piece of plastic bag or something over it to prevent the sockets from falling off next time.

The early 4.0L's have the lower half of the dust shield removable. Is the dust shield one piece on the later models? If it is one piece, just unbolt the bottom and pry it away from the tranny. You should then be able to get a fish wire in there and retrieve the socket. If worse comes to worse, you can pull the starter and fish it from that angle.

old_man said:
... If worse comes to worse, you can pull the starter and fish it from that angle.

That sounds like a great idea to me! Pulling the starter is a lot faster than pulling the tranny.

hey all, thanks for the responses...

i have already rolled the jeep so i dont wanna try that approach

i have also already swapped the motor this month so i dont wanna try that approach either.

ill pull the starter first

-Tim

Back