• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how hard is it to install hitch and wiring?

dumbagain

NAXJA Forum User
looking to add a hide-a-hitch 2" to my 2000 cherokee. i see that they are bolt ons. i should have no problem with that.

what about the wiring? with these self install harnesses do they just plug into an existing plug or am i slicing and soldering things?

one shop quoted me $195 for class 2 hideahitch including install and $45 for wiring harness and install.

You have to screw in 8 bolts and splice some wires together. If you can operate a toaster then you should be alright. ;)

Check the inside of the rear driverside fender, just in front of the bumper. My 2001 had four way tucked into a hole there, from the factory.

Check your local auto parts for Valley and others. They can ship in for free from the regional warehouse, and often offer better prices. A Class 3 hitch with 4" reciever will offer a lot more versatility and accessories. They may also be able to hook you up with the wiring cheaper - if it is a plug in, you're down there anyway, it comes with instructions, you can save $10 bucks just snapping it into place.

U-Haul can do the same. The toughest part of install is holding the darn thing up until the first few bolts are in. Complete instructions are always included.

A plug in adaptor is available for your jeep "hoppy" I think is the brand that pep boys, napa, etc. sells. It will cost more than most of them though, because it comes with a taillamp converter that you'll also need being that jeeps use seperate circuits for the brakes and turn signals.Just unplug factory connector and it plugs in between it...done!

Back