• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

V8 swap into '84?

NeilW

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1984 XJ and looking to swap the 2.8 I6 and tranny. My concern is will the bigger engine fit in the compartment and, if not, how much will I have to modify?

The replacement is a 350 cu.in. V8 from a 1973 El Camino with a TH375 auto tranny out of a Chevrolet truck, not sure what year. Engine comes with 2-barrel carb, mounting brackets, alternator, power steering pump and cooling system (radiator, hoses, fan, etc).

I would love to accomplish this since I'm getting the engine and tranny dirt cheap and know they are reliable. Also, I'm planning to raise it up 6-8" and the extra power would be helpful.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated!!

It would be alot of work on an 84. advanced adapters makes parts and has info on doing this swap, but they suggest starting with a later model that had the straight 6 available. Something about the core suport/radiator area being different. I think they also stated that a lift is required so the oil pan will clear. Its been a long time since I saw this, but google up advanced adaptors, i know they have the info you need.

Last edited:
"Something about the core suport/radiator area being different."

The I-6 radiator sits under the support while the earlier ones sit behind it. I believe the core supports are interchangable between the years but I'm not certain. I have seen this swap done before but it is alot of work. Do you have a t-case for the trans?

The trans you've got is either a t350 or a t400-no overdrive. I'd look for a 700r4 so that you have an overdrive. Any of these transes. can be used with the jeep transfer cases though-they make adaptors for them. If its going to see any time on the highway you'll thank me later. If I remember right a sbc with aluminium intake/headers is actually lighter than the jeep straight 6, so weight won't be an issue. 73 was a low compression motor, and in stock form probably won't have alot more power than the 6. But if you build it I would definetely think about some reinforcement like carlton989 said... good luck!!!

cherokee89 said:
http://72.20.96.178/commerce/ccpc1059-1397-chevy-v8-engine-mount-kit-713109-713109.htm

I thought about throwing a 383 in my Jeep when I got it way back in '95, but decided to not spend the $$ on it. Advanced Adapters will be a big help with stuffing that 350 into the XJ.

I am sure there are others who have actually done this. Hopefully they will chime in.

Beat me to it...

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/cherokee+383+stroker/0/51763f93-f259-4ce3-8b06-983d0103b041.htm

While the radiator supports are indeed different, it probably isn't that big a deal since you will need to modify them for a radiator big enough to cool your V8 anyways. However, 84-86 XJ's have a different firewall configuration, and do not have as much room in the engine compartment as the later I6 XJs. So, you can probably make it work, but be prepared for extensive "massaging" of the firewall and tranny tunnel...

The 700 R4 4x4 tranny has an odd spline count...like 31??? so the jeep tc is not a direct fit unless you change the input shaft....best to get the tranny/tc as a unit. Find one from a 4.3 blazer or s-10/15.....and don't confuse a 700 R4 with a 4L60....the '60 is electronic....the R4 is hydro/mechanical. No need for electronics. Just be damn sure you have the kickdown set up and adjusted properly.

MudDawg said:
The 700 R4 4x4 tranny has an odd spline count...like 31??? so the jeep tc is not a direct fit unless you change the input shaft....best to get the tranny/tc as a unit. Find one from a 4.3 blazer or s-10/15.....and don't confuse a 700 R4 with a 4L60....the '60 is electronic....the R4 is hydro/mechanical. No need for electronics. Just be damn sure you have the kickdown set up and adjusted properly.
2X on the T.V. cable. 1/8 inch off can destroy the trans. Its not really a kick down like on the older transes. Its a throttle valve (preassure control for shifting) Other than that fact, a good reliable trans that stand up to some power. Most failures with this trans are related to that cable not adj right. Probably as strong as the T-350. T-400 is the strongest trans that will bolt up behind that motor. Good for a trail rig, but like I said-no overdrive. T-400 also have longer cases-could be driveshaft angle problems, not sure though...

Last edited:
xj-grin said:
While the radiator supports are indeed different, it probably isn't that big a deal since you will need to modify them for a radiator big enough to cool your V8 anyways. However, 84-86 XJ's have a different firewall configuration, and do not have as much room in the engine compartment as the later I6 XJs. So, you can probably make it work, but be prepared for extensive "massaging" of the firewall and tranny tunnel...
Right about that too...

,........" extensive "massaging" of the firewall and tranny tunnel..", false.. com on,..""Something about the core suport/radiator area being different.",..only slightly nothing that a few minuetes with your favorite small Dewalt or in my case ,Makita grinder/disc cutter can't resolve-Forgive me for being somewhat presumptuous but if you have already done so........
.search...and re-search again here in the very enormous and knowledgeable NAXJA archives IF you have not already done so use terms like "Chev V-8 350 HP" and so on-
bxj
1984 XJ
1995 Chevrolet 350 V-8 LT1 5.7 liter (carbureted ) ($800.00 crate engine)+ Chev
700R-4 trans($200.00) with ye ole Ford Bronco Dana 20 transfer case($200.00) with 1996 Ford 8.8 rear axle($500.00)
Advanced Adapter motor mounts and Chev 700R-4 transmission to Ford Dana 20 transfer case adapter-http://www.naxja.org/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif
Talking
HTH

Most of all, don't forget to stiffen the chassis a lot. Sleeve the rails and cage it or it will drive "cockeyed" down the road soon after the swap. ;) Maybe it's just me though, tend to get on the skinny one a bit. ;)

SPOBI- ,..."don't forget to stiffen the chassis a lot. Sleeve the rails and cage it or it will drive "cockeyed" down the road soon after the swap"-.
.dude,..-
Stop Putting Out Bogus Information -
bxj

BlackJax said:
Most of all, don't forget to stiffen the chassis a lot. Sleeve the rails and cage it or it will drive "cockeyed" down the road soon after the swap. ;) Maybe it's just me though, tend to get on the skinny one a bit. ;)
Granted I don't own an XJ with a sbc in it, but the motor he's talking about won't be that dramatic of an increase in power unless he starts building it. Yes the potential is there with everything available for the chevy to build some serious power and at that point some reinforcement could be nessecary. A 1973 chevy was a low comp. motor And I'm sure some of the guy's around here with stroker motors are putting out more power than we're talking about. Honestly if it was me doing this, I would have to really weigh out the cost difference between the swap and a stroker. After adding all the costs of adaptors, cooling, exhaust, driveshafts, electronics, misc. parts, etc. it might be a toss up. How much of it you intend to do yourself and your level of fabrication skills could be the deciding factor. Still would be cool to have a nice throaty v8 in an XJ though...

installation of the i6 in pre 87 xj's is difficult...both the firewall and the core support are different. the hood latches on the pre 87 are int he center and will interfere withe the i6 radiator.the swap wasnt that hard.... just took alot of thinkin things through. my entire jeep including purchase price has only cost ma about 2500. if someone says hey, you cant do that... its time to get the tools out and prove them wrong. the only reason my jeep was built...lol

Thanks for all the replies. This site was heavily recommended, and now I see why.
As I said in the original post, the main reason I'm so interested in this swap is because the engine and tranny are coming by VERY cheap and I know they are reliable.
We plan to set the engine on a stand and do some upgrades before the install. Haven't planned all that out yet though. I also plan to work on the body between removal and install, mainly to support any additional weight. I'm not too concerned about modifying the body since it's already a certified POS, but, hey, that's why it'll make such a great off-road vehicle... it's already beat to hell.
A friend runs a shop and he says he's done this before. We just have to clear space on the calendar.
Keep the info/opinions coming. I really appreciate it. We'll make sure to keep you updated with info and pictures as we move along.
Thanks again.

Honestly the best suggestion I have for you...

Sell it and pick up a cheap Renix 4.0L rig. You can find them for under 1K pretty easily and you are ready to roll with fuel injection and no troublesome swaps.

Andy

Back