• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another towing thread

Rod Knee

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody done much towing without the rear swaybar? I generally tow a small trailer with canoe and camping gear cross country and wonder how that would work out, I know its not generally advised to do so.

How about towing with lift and bigger tires?

Ive towed a small utility trailer (300-500# max) a couple times with no sway bars on a 4 inch lift and 31's and while it wasnt bad on the highway any sort of down hill turn was down right scary

I'm lifted 6.5" and run no swaybar front or rear (front will go back on eventually, i need to weld new links on for it..). I tow a 500 pound trailer with about 500 pounds of gear in it, and the only thing I think that is lacking is my transmission cooler.

I have a bigger one in the garage waiting on time. If your rear leafs are any good at all, rear swaybar won't matter.

I have towed a 16 foot flat bed with my jeep (1400 lbs dry) and no sway bars, its not too bad. the only thing that stops me from doing it all the time are the tiny brakes on the d30 and the crappy 8.25 drums. but a small trailer will tow fine without sway bars.

I towed my 8' pop-up camper (about 1500#) without any sway bars at 4" of lift on 31's. It got a little creepy in a crosswind. I just installed sway bar disco's but I haven't towed with them in yet to see what it is like

I just finished a 500 mile round trip towing a 3500 lb. camper with no rear swaybar. I didn't notice any difference. I didn't think it was a big deal until I saw this thread...

The trailer has electric brakes and I have a weight distributing hitch.

Back