• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Auto Transmission boil over

Stumpalump

NAXJA Forum User
Do the XJ Autos boil over on the trail like the old Jeeps did? Can you just dump in a few quarts of tranny fluid and go? How many quarts do you carry as trail spares? How can you tell this tranmission is getting hot if you have no guage? Does it slip or somthing?

When my 92 overheated the trans there was no saving it. 90 degree day, merging onto the highway. Got to about 75 mph and it was like someone put it in neutral! Looked in the rearview mirror-looked like the jeep was on fire from all the smoke! Traffic was even backing off! It did make the 25 mile drive back home though, after cooling off and refilling. It would slip if I went more than 35mph and I had to pull over about 5 times to let it cool because it just kept getting worse and worse. Didn't leave me stranded and didn't have to tow it though..."Only in a Jeep"

Back