• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Struggles to stay cranked

MattS

NAXJA Forum User
The 99 Jeep is having a very hard time trying to stay cranked when I start it. I will turn the key, crank it, it will go for 2 seconds then rpms drop to the point that it is STRUGGLING to stay cranked. I usually turn it off and restart to success. Sometimes it takes a couple of times to get her going. Battery=good, alt=good, tps=brand new, iac sensor=brand new, tb=cleaned, fuel pump, filter, housing(everything in the tank)=new. I'm down to pressure or cps. I am thinking that the pressure should be good, since it will eventually start like it is supposed to. Any advice?
Thanks in advance...

Bench test your starter. I take it that it seems like your just not getting enough juice to it, right?

I cleaned my contacts on mine, and it worked since my oil filter adapter seals area leaking just a bit...but the last time I had this problem...start was on it's way out.

Did you test or replace the starter relay? It is in the fuse box under the hood (I think it's even labeled), and gave me somewhat similar problems to yours. It is around $13 at the dealer.

I went throught the same scenario, new pump, starter, battery, cables, and then checked everything again.

Back