• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hood crap

SUA SPONTE

NAXJA Forum User
the liner on my hood is all crappy and falling off. almost cant stand to look at it anymore. if i just remove it, will the paint on my hood boil right off? what is a good replacment? something that absorbs heat or reflects it?
thanks for the advice
rltw

I removed mine in 2003 & still have my paint. Mine is white so that may make a difference. JIM.

My 2000 never had it. It's dark blue, and my paint is still there, but there is a small blister in the center that I have often wandered if heat has caused it.

I've never seen a liner on an XJ.

Timber said:
Same here. I've also never seen the splash guard/shield under the engine.

I used to have that! No hood insulation though!

I have a 96 and it is still there.

50DSCN1488-med.jpg

But you could replace with somthing like this.
http://www.heatshieldproducts.com/hd_stealth_felt.php

I believe the hood insulator was more to deaden engine noise than heat. This would explain why you normally only see them on the more heavily optioned trucks. Taking it out shouldn't matter. The paint can take the heat from the engine. The sun on a hot day probably gets hotter than that. If anything it might keep the hood from rusting if its holding mud & moisture against the metal...

My '89 still has the original and it is in OK shape. If I were going to rip it out, I would use that crap from Dynamat.

Looks like the same vents that are in the rear corners of my boat to vent the bilge. If so Boat US has them on the shelve Plastic or stainless steel!!!

No liners for me, just mouse nest material as far as I'm concerned. The under engine bib I still have though it has worked it's way loose. Summer project.

Yes they are marine vents. Mine are stainless because they were free so I painted them black. When I put them in I did not cut any hood suports.

P.S. SeaDog brand

Tugboat369 said:
Yes they are marine vents. Mine are stainless because they were free so I painted them black. When I put them in I did not cut any hood suports.

P.S. SeaDog brand
Your user name made me put 2 and 2 together... LOL...figured your either a boat owner or work in the marine industry. Nice choice though, they look really good on there!!!

Had that nickname from the age of nine.

But you were right on both counts. Retired seven years ago as a tugboat captian and also my wife and I owne a boat.

Plus have a small marine bussiness.

Back