• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my jeep is running like poo poo!

2000xj4x4

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 2000 xj and it just started missing really badly so i was looking around and my o2 sensor (after the cat) had freyd wires from rubbing against my floor pan. so i replaced it today and it seemed to run better but then after driving around for about 20 min. it started again at a red light.
It idle's down really low but runs fine when i rev it up.

any ideas? (oh and my check engine light just came on)

Last edited by a moderator:
Idle Air Control sensor can cause it to stumble at idle.

It can be cleaned relatively easily. There is a plunger in the sensor that gets sticky and stops plunging.

Do a quick search and you should pull up more detailed information.

Be sure to post a report if you fix it.

You said your CEL came on - any way to pull the code and see what it corrosponds to?

When you replaced your O2 sensor, did you disconnect your neg battery cable (so your computer resets)?

Bet its that O2 that you found the frayed wires on. Check that again. either that is grounding out somewhere or is not plugged into the sensor tightly enough.

i replaced the o2 sensor disconnected the neg on the bat. for about ten min. hooked it up and it ran fine again. then i drove around for about 20 min and it started acting up again. seems like it does it alot more when its hot.

Could be, I guess that was a problem with the 00's?

I am running a 180 T-stat and don't have any issues with the #3 injector...

I'm kinda getting the same symptoms you are...but its hit or miss...so I'm just gonna replace the TPS and IACV...

sometimes it runs fine and others it will barely move unless i give it a lot of gas. if i hold the pedal at a constant speed the engine will rev up and down.

Did you clean the IACV like Ben H suggested?

im almost positive it has to do with the downstream o2 sensor because it started missing right after i went over a log which pushe my exhaust up and my o2 sensor got messed up on my foor pan. it cut the gray wire and other three were frayed really bad. I replaced it with an oe bosch one last night and its still missing. it started running bad right after i messed up the o2 sensor on the log.

Did you remove the throttle position sensor?

Once I put it back in wrong where it was keeping the throttle plate open slightly...... So perhaps that's the cause of your high idle? Unlikely, but worth to check. You shouldn't have to move the throttle plate to install the TPS.

Back