• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hood vents added

Randy Curran

NAXJA Forum User
Less than $8 at Menards. Trimmed 'em and bolted them in. Not perfect but neither am I. I love cutting up my truck. And now my truck will run cooler! Of course maybe I should get my temp gauge fixed.

IMG_0222.jpg

IMG_0221.jpg

IMG_0219.jpg

What happens when it rains, does water run into your engine and over your distributor?

sorry to burst you bubble but it won't run much cooler. All those will do is look friggin sweet, they don't do much for cooling. I installed Lebaron vents and it didn't cool down much, but it looks awesome. BTW where ya get that grill?

and the water doesn't really do much damage to the distributor, no problems so far, but I live in SoCal...

Last edited:
OCMI_Teddy said:
sorry to burst you bubble but it won't run much cooler. All those will do is look friggin sweet, they don't do much for cooling. I installed Lebaron vents and it didn't cool down much, but it looks awesome. BTW where ya get that grill?

So did you glue yours to the hood or did you cut holes? :wierd:

How much they cool depends on what conditions you are talking about.

Driving down the freeway they don't provide any cooling to speak of.
Stuck in stop and go traffic on a hot summers day, or crawling along a hot trail, my engine temps stay a bit lower... 5 degrees or so.... enough to keep the aux fan from kicking on as often as before.

The real noticeable cooling is not so much with internal engine temps but with the ambient temperature of the engine compartment. This is a drastic difference in temps. I have not measured it but you could with an infrared gun pre / post installation. But you can literally see the heat rising from the vents when you are stopped. Less heat = cooler temperatures.

looking good randy :thumbup: , and just cheaper than mine . but not by much !
i will get a pic of mine posted later today .

Good job man. I may add some vent soon to mine.

OCMI_Teddy said:

the grill came stock on wagoneers.

btw, awesome vents. they match the rest of the truck perfectly

EricsXJ said:
So did you glue yours to the hood or did you cut holes? :wierd:

How much they cool depends on what conditions you are talking about.

Driving down the freeway they don't provide any cooling to speak of.
Stuck in stop and go traffic on a hot summers day, or crawling along a hot trail, my engine temps stay a bit lower... 5 degrees or so.... enough to keep the aux fan from kicking on as often as before.

The real noticeable cooling is not so much with internal engine temps but with the ambient temperature of the engine compartment. This is a drastic difference in temps. I have not measured it but you could with an infrared gun pre / post installation. But you can literally see the heat rising from the vents when you are stopped. Less heat = cooler temperatures.

where would I point the infared gun? I do see the heat coming out but my temp gauge didn't really change at all, however my intake temp went down about 3 degrees(at idle sitting in a garage, and did right after driving it so engine was at operating temp) IMO the better way of looking at under hood temp.

Hey, if you would of gotten the supply vents instead of the returns, they'd have that little knob in the center to close them off. You could control underhood temp and close them off for water crossings...LOL

OCMI_Teddy said:
where would I point the infared gun? I do see the heat coming out but my temp gauge didn't really change at all, however my intake temp went down about 3 degrees(at idle sitting in a garage, and did right after driving it so engine was at operating temp) IMO the better way of looking at under hood temp.
Correct... you won't see much of a change on your temp gauge. When I say mine is slightly lower, it still gets up to operating temp, but it helps keep it from reaching 235* as often as it did before. Your observation of lower intake temps is perfect since heat won't be building up inside the engine compartment as much.

Back