• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle swap problem

iBarsky

NAXJA Forum User
Sunday I swapped the dana 30 in the front of my '96 for a 30 out of '97 TJ. Install went fine. Haven't had it aligned yet but drove it a little yesterday and I have a major problem. The rotors are rubbing the knuckles very badly. The worst contact area is around the center hole. The rotors I put on for the test drive are ruined and I have no idea what the problem is. I used the trackbar, tierod, etc. from the XJ. Old axle was a hp 30 w/ 3.55s, new one is a lp 30 w/ 3.73s and a Truetrac. I've never swapped a front axle before, only rears. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You need to use the rotors from the other axle. 96 to 97 rotors/unit bearings dont' get along. They have like 1/4" difference in WMS, so if you use the wrong combo of them, you'll get rotors rubbing on the ears.

I actually used 1 rotor from the TJ 30 and 1 from the XJ and they both rubbed. The rotor from the '96 XJ did seem to have more damage though. I'll try just running the TJ rotors tomorrow and see if it helps.

Back