• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 locker & alloy shaft question

ARBOGASTER

NAXJA Forum User
I got to thinking the other night (dangerous I know) I have a 27 spline 8.25 out back right now. If I bought some 29 spline alloy shafts for it and a 29 spline aussie locker is there anything else I would have to replace to make it work? It seems like a good way to upgrade without totally swapping in another axle and having stock shafts.

No Aussie locker availiable. Have to go with Powertrax, by Richmond.

I think you have to get the bigger carrier.

If it were me I would get the replacement axle, work on it then install it. They can be found for the price of a carrier.

Yes, with a lunchbox, you need the 29-spline carrier.

Anyone positive about the carrier?? What's the difference???

I had a 29 spline 8.25 (which I thought at the time was a 27 spliner) and I tried installing a lock rite. It fit into the case fine....but it just wouldn't go onto the shaft!! That's how I figured out it was a 29 spline!!

So what I'm saying is that it seems to me like his idea MAY work. Does anyone have any first hand experience to say otherwise? Please don't think I'm trying to say that it will infact work....just playing devil's advocate.

FYI I've been running a full detroit with yukon shafts and 4.56's for over two years...started on 33's, now 35's...never any trouble.

mjma said:
Anyone positive about the carrier?? What's the difference???

I had a 29 spline 8.25 (which I thought at the time was a 27 spliner) and I tried installing a lock rite. It fit into the case fine....but it just wouldn't go onto the shaft!! That's how I figured out it was a 29 spline!!

So what I'm saying is that it seems to me like his idea MAY work. Does anyone have any first hand experience to say otherwise? Please don't think I'm trying to say that it will infact work....just playing devil's advocate.

You need a new carrier to upgrade to a 29 spline. It's 2 more splines but that adds up to a larger diameter shaft. Since it's a larger shaft the side gears have to be larger (obviously). With the side gears being larger, the hole in the carrier that they fit into is also bigger.

27 spline = 1.17" diameter
29 spline = 1.21" diameter

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Makes sense to me. I just checked the catalog and they show two different carriers for the 8.25

(1) for a 29 spline
(1) for a 27 spline

Thanks guys

Back