• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 Serpentine Belt Length

CantonXJ

NAXJA Forum User
99 Serpentine Belt Length ?'s

Okay, I've seen the needed length of this belt listed as anywhere from 95" to 95-5/8". Summit lists it as 95" and NAPA specifies 95-5/8". This is for a 99 with A/C, PS and LHD. Amazon lists it as 95-1/4". Summit sells the 95" (#GTR-4060950) for $33.69 and the 95-1/4" (#GTR-4060952) for $22.39 with both being a 6 rib design. What is correct? Why is the shorter belt 10 bucks more that the longer one? Because it's for a Jeep? Will the 1/4" of additional length be a problem?

Thanks for any guidance.

Dave

Last edited:
All I can add is that the NAPA belts I've tired in the past have been too long. I tried 3 belts (exchanges), and they work ok for the first day or so; but then stretch out beyond where I can take up on the slack on adjustment. They wind up screeching something fierce....

I went back to the OEM belt from the dealer, and it worked fine the first time. As I recall, it really wasn't that much more than from NAPA.....

NAPA Belts always appear superior in quality from anything I got from other stores. I really think they are GATES belts, just re-branded.

BUT, I have noticed the same you've said, the belt I got from NAPA was longer than the old belt that was on the vehicle, that should have stretched some since its worn out.

I haven't put the new NAPA on yet. I'm fixing up my XJ and still running the motor with flush in it and the old cooling parts. Once I've cleaned old the old crud out of the cooling system I'm going to replace all the cooling parts I have.

I worry, the old belt has the adjust out toward the end for tension, the longer new NAPA may just be too long.

BTW, look up the convention for the part numbers. The end dictates the length of the belt. So if the NAPA belt is too long, you can figure out a part number to get the appropraite belt that is short enough. I'd rather do that and get the NAPA quality than get another belt from another store that is poorer quality.

BTW: The belts I quoted prices for above are Goodyear Gatorbacks. I'm just looking for the proper length.

Thanks!

Nobody knows the correct length of this belt? Okay, then does anyone know how much slack can be taken up by the PS pump adjustment?

Thanks!

Thanks Matthew, that's what I was hoping. Why not save 10 bucks and buy a belt that's 1/4" longer? :thumbup:

Dave

Back