• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Upgrade Is it necessary

BIgDaddyChia

RRC Organizer
I have a RE 3.5 inch lift. I need to do new tie rods and what not. Right now the rig is gonna be mostly a DD with the ocasional trip. Is it worth it to spedn the money now or just remain stock until I really start doing more wheeling. I mean quadratec ahs the entire set up about 120 bucks to rpalce facotry. I am really new to this jeep thing and dont know what to do about it. The steering is the the only thing keeping me from driving my jeep.

The factory steering can be adjusted so the tires are pointed in the same direction with the 3.5 kit, but you may not be able to extend the center link enough to make the steering wheel straight. It will work temporarily on the street. You probably don't want to off-road it seriously because the upper tie rod end will run out of play and bind up.

man i just put on the currie set up with 8 inches lift and it is sweet - really beeefy and bolted on no problem

No your steering is fine. I DD drive mine with 4.5in of lift on stock steering and I take it out wheeling pretty often too. One word of advice...... dont park your tire next to your bosses truck and then crank the wheel pushing the tire into his.... you tierod "will" bend..... LOL. (dont know how i would know that one). But again you should be fine.... and you should be able to get the steering wheel clocked back to zero.

Geometry wise, your stock steering is just fine for 3.5" lift (and some higher).
Strength wise, upgrading to stronger steering parts is always a good idea regardless of how much lift you have.

Well I wold like to upgrade later but my main goal right now is being able to drive it. I have been taking what little time I have the past 2 months to try and lift it but so far all that is done is the back is finished and i am still working on tearing the front down. I was gonna order the Rustys kit dfor 260 but after seeing how many people have had issues with service I dont know.

yes you can use the v8 components - at the very least go with a new tie rod fron tnt customs, poison syyder, etc... b/c this tends to be the part that gets the most abuse- the stock draglink is generally not the weak point but with that being said i am very impressed with the currie set up i installed- do it once and do it right. i got a good deal on a barely used set up so look around too they pop up everynow and again...

i have 36 inch iroks so it really was needed but it gives you the go ahead if you want to go with more lift and tire- i wish i had done this a long time ago and it really tightened up my steering and feels a lot better.

Back