• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Remedy for Wind noise in Cherokee?

ltkaknm

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all,

Does anyone have any advice on how to cut down on wind noise from the front windows of a 1990 2 door Cherokee. This Cherokee still had the separate vent window.

Thanks,

LTK

You've got a few options...
1. Replace all the rubber weatherstripping, etc. associated with the vent windows.
2. Put a bead of caulk around the opening of the vent windows and make it so they don't open.
3. Put glass from a 97+ Cherokee in to have 1 piece windows.
I opted for number 3 but did the doors as well. I'm in the process now of trying to figure out how much of a pain putting the one piece window in the older door is. If I were you if you don't care about your vent windows, caulk them shut. If you do, replace the weatherstripping. Hope this helps.
-Collin

The best fix I have found is to install wing window saftey locks.you can get them in the help section at schucks or napa they are a metal band that slides on the glass and have a screw tensioner i.e. round plastic knob that adjusts how much it pulls the glass into the frame.Works great for around 5 bucks.

If you don't smoke or need the wing windows you can replace them with the non-opening type from the boneyard. they are a direct replacement and three screws and a little time and effort.

ddeadserious said:
Ride in a Wrangler with a soft top and then stop bitching.:D
Amen on that one... it's not bad on the weekdays 14mi round trip commute to the train station but come friday and 60 miles on Rt80 heading home. Then last nite, driving east at 70mph with a 50miph cross wind... really makes me appreciate my XJ....
Are you sure it's your vent windows ? my 98 does not have them and it's still noisy in that area. I'm planning on some sound deadening this spring when I do some other stuff, plan on the doors, undercarpet and quarter panels to start.

Has anyone with a '97-or-newer (no vent window) XJ installed those plastic window visor thingees around their front windows...if so, did it affect the wind noise with windows closed?

Fold up a business card and shove it behind the lock of the vent window. Cheapest and can still you the vent if you would like. Have only lost 1 business card over the last year. I know those business card the boss gave me were good for something ;-)

Don't forget;
5) Duct tape all edges, seams and roof water gutters to aerodynamically clean up the vehicle. That measure does have its draw-backs.

Really, the only thing you can do is too restore the body features that effect the wind noise as close as possible to original condition. Like mentioned, the door/body/window seals. Straighten any door/body panel alignment so seams or as even as possible.

I don't know if the window visor things that curl around the edge of the window help. They may hurt and create more noise, you'd have to get someone that has installed them to give you a before-after opinion.

I thought I was getting wind noise from windshield, vents, door, windows. I posted with this problem. I sealed up the winshield, the doors, all sealable areas of firewall, hood, etc., the gutters and still had the whistling.

I was told to move my front roof rack crossbar back about 6-8 inches and poof, no more whistling. Give that a shot, it worked like a charm for me.

Good Point, My Mini-Van has little arrows etched into the roof rack, to mark the ideal spot for the crossbars. After using the roof rack, and NOT moving the crossbars back to the marks, I get significant wind noise, once I line the cross bars back up with the marks, the noise disapears.

jragan said:
Do say I like the replacing with a full window. Anyone done this?
I believe someone who goes by the name of like RedDogXJ or someone on here did it by cutting the tracks out of 97+ doors and fixing them in the older ones. I think the regulator also had to be shimmed out somehow. What I plan on doing is using the existing 96- window tracks with some extra support for the 97+ windows. I'm not sure how I'm going to do it yet or if that route is even possible, but that's my plan.

92AKXJ said:
If your windshied needs replacing, go with the rubber trim and get rid of the multi-piece pine needle-trapping rattley clip-on metal.
How do you manage this? Do you just get it off of a 97+ or what?

Just got me thinking.

How hard would it realy be to put the 97+ front glass in a pre 97 style door? Besides weatherstripping, what else whould have to be changed? How would you remove the divider between the fixed front glass and the square glass to accomodate the new one piece window?

Back