• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Turbocharging the 2.5

neonrog

NAXJA Forum User
I'm curious, is the 86 2.5 Renix or something else? Will this motor take boost to say 7 PSI or so? Is the stock headgasket strong enough for that? Just thinking is all...

Does Renix allow enough extra fuel for boost, or do I need to add some sort of piggyback fuel managment? I have experience with Chrysler turbo 4 bangers from the 80s and nearly turbo'ed my old V6 Caravan... Some computers will compensate (as long as I'm not running stupid levels of boost...), for anywhere from 3-6 PSI.

i want to do the same thing i have a couple chrysler turbo 4s at my disposal and (im a dumba$$ i havent bought the 2.5 cherokee yet but im workin on it) as for the comp why not throw bigger injectors in to compensate for added airflow

i believe that the 2.5 has too much compression to be boosted. Also I dont think it wouldnt put out anymore power that a 4.0.

the turbo sound like a cool idea, but is not very practical. ditch the 4 banger for a 6 and then you could turbo that if your not having enough fun

Stock compression for a 2.5 is 9.2....There is no reason one cannot be boosted....providing you have adequate octane number fuel and/or methanol or water injection...the little bugger is stout if built properly...the 3.19" stoke gives the motor an undersquare design....Now that we have discussed neat stuff.....you cannot get the same performance out of one as a 4.0 without compromising reliability.

Kind of like my old Kawi 900 based drag bike...63 hp stock...can be built to 1500+ cc displacement....and over 300 hp....it will go like blue hell, but to keep it alive, you need aftermarket EVERYTHING...and it still will only be good for a couple hundred passes before the whole thing is beyond cycle limit.

Can a 2.5 be turned into a true killer??? absolutely....but not financially rewarding...They do however give a real good :explosion when they suck a valve and sawmill the block at 7K+....been there got the t-shirt.

XJ 2.6 was carb in 84 and 85, RENIX TBI in 86 till 90, MPI in 91 till its demise in the late 90's

I have a 2002 2.5 in my MJ #2.....came out of a Dakota. :greensmok

I'm not wanting to make 4.0 power, but an 20-40 HP wouldn't hurt. When I saw the 9.2:1 CR, I knew that I could boost it, just a little. I could just grab a turbo off the Chrysler 2.2s. The 2.5 Chryslers used a smaller Mitsubishi turbo, that would be great for just down low grunt, but I'm just thinking a little more help on the highway wouldn't hurt. I've got a Ford Ranger 2.3 4x4 on 31s with a 5 speed and 4.10s, and by the time I grab 5th, I'm out of power. Not sure of the 2.5 in the MJ/XJ, but I'm guessing a little help wouldn't hurt.

Which leads back to a question, is the 2.5 using the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the 4.0 or the GM 2.8?

i belive the 2.5 is a difernt bolt pattern all together. it looks the same as the 4.0 but the top bolts are closer together. we trid to get a ax-5 to mount to a 4.0 and the holes were off about 3/4 inch.

The bellhousing pattern is the same as the 2.8, 3.1, 3.4, 3.8, 3800, shortstar, and a few other of the "small" bellhousing GM engines. There are significant differences like where the starter mounts, etc....but you get the picture.

It however is NOT the same as the 4.0, 4.2, or any other AMC/Jeep engine.

Rog.....find yourself a t-bird Supercoupe? in the bone yard with the turbo 2.3 and you can fix the ole Ranger right up.

With the turbo 2.3, I'd have to cut out part of the heater box. I almost did this though...

Very interesting with the bolt pattern. Hmm, wonder if I can get a Camaro 3.8, and all the supercharger off the Pontiac Bonneville...

Last edited:
Back