• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

question about disco D30 and aussie combo....

jacked

NAXJA Forum User
im just wondering, i have a 242tc with a non disco HPD30, i will be installing an aussie locker shortly (already have it) the thing is once its installed it pretty much renders the full time useless, what if i installed a disco d30 with the aussie and 242tc but have the actuator on a manual switch so it would work like a hub on the passenger side. with the axle not engaged and the aussie in there the driver wheel would still recieve power, and then when i want part time i can actuate the pass axle. the only thing is the strength of the axle, ill be on 35s eventually and im not sure if i can get upgraded shafts for that.

Not sure, but I have a 99 XJ with an Aussie up front and np242 and I don't plan on using fulltime.

well i would like to make use of the 242 features, otherwise its just pointless, it hangs down lower than a 231, few sye options, a little weaker, heavier, so my point is if im gonna have it i might as well make use of it otherwise im probly going to find a 231 xj and build that while i drive this one.

You would not be happy with how it drives. The driverside wheel won't always be at the speed it wants to, and it wont be able to compensate at the diff.. not to mention you'd be going to a weaker axle.

A lot of people keep the 242 with 2 full time lockers. I'm not saying *dont* go to the 231, but dont be afraid to have an aussie up front with it. MJR runs a detroit rear, lockrite front, and uses full time here and there still. You can PM him for when/where and how it works..

as long as you use it on slippery surfaces like when its raining or whatever i think i can still use the full time, they say not to but im sure its just a precaution for people that will try it on dry pavement since you will probly bust a u joint im guessing

jacked said:
as long as you use it on slippery surfaces like when its raining or whatever i think i can still use the full time, they say not to but im sure its just a precaution for people that will try it on dry pavement since you will probly bust a u joint im guessing

not gonna happen, the locker will differentiate through corners in fulltime 4x4 on dry pavement. the difference will be the outside rather than the inside wheel will be driving during turning.

aussie.and sorry if i came across as a dick on my last response it was not intended.

this is from the aussie web site

"Front Axle Installations
The installation manual provided with your Aussie Locker contains information on proper front axle installations. The Aussie Locker works well in front axles for 4 Wheel Drive vehicles when they are installed in a vehicle with locking hubs or those equipped with front axle disconnect.

Under no circumstances should the Aussie Locker be installed in the front of a full- time 4 wheel drive vehicle.

To prevent damage to the drive line no four wheel drive vehicle should be driven on the highway with the front hubs locked and the 4 wheel drive engaged. The Aussie Locker in the front differential of a 4 wheel drive vehicle (excepting full-time 4WD), properly equipped and installed, provides dramatic off road traction and very good on-highway handling."

Last edited:
jacked said:
aussie.and sorry if i came across as a dick on my last response it was not intended.

this is from the aussie web site

"Front Axle Installations
The installation manual provided with your Aussie Locker contains information on proper front axle installations. The Aussie Locker works well in front axles for 4 Wheel Drive vehicles when they are installed in a vehicle with locking hubs or those equipped with front axle disconnect.

Under no circumstances should the Aussie Locker be installed in the front of a full- time 4 wheel drive vehicle.

To prevent damage to the drive line no four wheel drive vehicle should be driven on the highway with the front hubs locked and the 4 wheel drive engaged. The Aussie Locker in the front differential of a 4 wheel drive vehicle (excepting full-time 4WD), properly equipped and installed, provides dramatic off road traction and very good on-highway handling."

I was under the impression that a 242 tcase has a differential in it, thereby technically created an AWD situation as opposed to a "full time 4wd" situation.

Doesn't this allow for one driveshaft to turn at a different speed than the other, which would eliminate the potential for damage to the tcase from having a locker in the front.

Just my thoughts, I don't know if it's right or not, but my interpretation of a "full time 4wd" system would be one where the tcase locks both driveshafts together.

Even if, it sounds a lot like lawyer/warranty mumbo jumbo and not real world advice.

RedHeep said:
I was under the impression that a 242 tcase has a differential in it, thereby technically created an AWD situation as opposed to a "full time 4wd" situation.

Doesn't this allow for one driveshaft to turn at a different speed than the other, which would eliminate the potential for damage to the tcase from having a locker in the front.

Just my thoughts, I don't know if it's right or not, but my interpretation of a "full time 4wd" system would be one where the tcase locks both driveshafts together.

Even if, it sounds a lot like lawyer/warranty mumbo jumbo and not real world advice.

They call it "Full-Time" because you can drive in it full time on higher traction surfaces. The 3 differentials (front axle, transfer case, rear axle) keep the driveline from binding up and damaging parts. When locking the front axle, it will bind in turns, while the driveshafts and rear axle are still turning with out binding. Locking the transfer case creates the part-time situation, check the little lights on the dash (I was confused at first also)

Tommy

Tommy_Harrell said:
They call it "Full-Time" because you can drive in it full time on higher traction surfaces. The 3 differentials (front axle, transfer case, rear axle) keep the driveline from binding up and damaging parts. When locking the front axle, it will bind in turns, while the driveshafts and rear axle are still turning with out binding. Locking the transfer case creates the part-time situation, check the little lights on the dash (I was confused at first also)

Tommy

I know how the transfer case works.

What I was getting at was why does locking the front axle with an automatic locker have anything to do with what's going on inside of the transfer case. The only time the front axle will "bind" is if it was spooled. The aussie is designed to allow those wheels to turn independently, just like an open diff situation.

RedHeep said:

What I was getting at was why does locking the front axle with an automatic locker have anything to do with what's going on inside of the transfer case. The only time the front axle will "bind" is if it was spooled. The aussie is designed to allow those wheels to turn independently, just like an open diff situation.

Not quiet like an open diff situation, the aussie is designed to lock the shafts together like a spool anytime torque is applied, forward or backwards. When your gliding around a corner, one wheel can spin faster than the pinion is, but *NOT SLOWER* under any circumstance. If the pinion gets torque applied to it in either direction (compression braking or gas) it will lock the shafts together again.

RedHeep said:

Not quiet like an open diff situation, the aussie is designed to lock the shafts together like a spool anytime torque is applied, forward or backwards. When your gliding around a corner, one wheel can spin faster than the pinion is, but *NOT SLOWER* under any circumstance. If the pinion gets torque applied to it in either direction (compression braking or gas) it will lock the shafts together again.

cal said:

How does this affect a full time transfer case? The driveshaft spins at whatever speed the axle is spinning regardless of one or two wheels have power applied to them. I thought the purpose of the diff in the tcase was to prevent damage from one driveshaft moving at a different speed than the other.

RedHeep said:
How does this affect a full time transfer case? The driveshaft spins at whatever speed the axle is spinning regardless of one or two wheels have power applied to them. I thought the purpose of the diff in the tcase was to prevent damage from one driveshaft moving at a different speed than the other.

I may have missed part of the thread, so I'm not sure where that came into the discussion - I was responding to a single post only there.

I can picture in my head how it would be a problem, but am far too tired to articulate it into words, and am not really all that sure that I am right (at this late hour). Let me think about it over my coffee in the morning and come back to this thread. :) I'll see if I can get MJR to chime in, he runs two auto lockers and a 242, and I believe does sometimes use his fulltime option.

Also keep in mind "they" are most likely referring to a true full time case, as in no 2wd, not necessarily a Jeep. Kinda like the driving on the road with the hubs locked thing, it doesn't necessarily apply in our case.

With that said, I wouldn't recommend putting it in full time, maybe if your on slick surfaces, but why? Even if it didn't hurt anything, I would think it would make driving less predictable.

Back