• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pedal Problems

XTurboJ

NAXJA Forum User
I dont know if any of you have experienced anything like this. I have a '90 with a 4.0 and an AX15, and if i insert my key into the ignition, and press the break and clutch pedals to the floor, as i am supposed to, and then i turn the key, i get nothing. Absolutey nothing, it just doesnt make a connection, as far as i can figure. If, dont touch the pedals, but i have the tranny in neutral, and i turn the key it will start.

As far as i can figure its some thing to do with the clutch cancel, though, i dont even really know if my Jeep has one.

Any insight on this?

I think there is some kind of clutch safety switch (cant remember name) where you have to have the clutch pressed in for it to start. Maybe it has gone bad or the wires crossed or somethin?

I didn't think they had a clutch cancel (or interlock, or whatever you choose to call it) then. My 95 doesn't, though the 99 does. The 88 didn't either. Can you figure out whether it makes a difference if you push just one of the pedals?

If you can start it in N then you don't really have a problem do you????

It makes no difference which pedal i press, if i touch the brake or the clutch or the clutch or just the brake, it makes no connection. And its not a huge problem, but my park brake works not either. so, starting it after i have parked on a hill, or in a situation where my jeep will roll kinda gets tricky. And its just a huge annoyance.

XTurboJ said:
so, starting it after i have parked on a hill, or in a situation where my jeep will roll kinda gets tricky. And its just a huge annoyance.
Thats where the advantage of the manual transmission comes in compression starting is a beautiful thing

XTurboJ said:
Well, i havent quite giot the whole push/roll/compression start thing down like to the art like some others have.

Hill + clutch in = roll
2nd gear + turn key + release clutch = running engine

Got that, but alot of times, mostly all the time, when i park on a hill, i have other cars around me. some one might not like it when my XJ rolls into their pretty hyundai. i end up having to crank it on while its in gear. no fun for the Jeep

I had to compression start mine for about a week back in January right after I bought it. I was broke from buying it so I had to wait a week to get a new starter. I think compression starting is the No 1 reason to have a manual over auto transmission.

Will it start when you step on the break only while in neutral?
-Sam

Nope, but today i changed my brakes, shoes and pads, and now my Ebrake is working, just need to tighten it a bit. So theres one problem done, but while changing my brake shoes, i found that i have a busted seal on the wheel cylinder. So i have no rear brakes until i replace that cylinder. Either way, my pedal problem is now less severe, but none the less, it still sucks.

ts an XJ right?

then obviously one or both of those pedals are hitting a wire in the rats nest of them underneath the dash and creating a short of some kind.

troubleshoot, man.

stick it in neutral and just step on the brake, does it do its little thing or can you start without problems? Now that your ebrake works, take it to a parkinglot and set the ebrake and just shove in the clutch.. will it still fail to start?

agreee with above. sounds like you pedals are physically grounding out some wires underneath or pulling wires out of the fuse box when you are pushing them down. Start checking wires and connections. Has a previous owner added anything electrical? Some peoples wiring abilities should be deemed illegal to do.

When i say that i cant touch the pedals, i mean, I cant touch the pedals Like if i barely press on them, enough to turn on my brake lights or cancel my cruise control, there is no more connection being made, and my ignition does nothing. I am not sure about what all the previous owner did with it. What ever it was, he did it, because his aunt owned the Jeep before he did. I am the third owner. Maybe they are grounding out, but the likely hood of them just from either or both of them being pressed not even an inch in and grounding out, is very slim. I feel.

Maybe there's an electrical problem involving the brake light switch or the cruise control switch or their circuits. I would try as an experiment, getting underneath, finding each of those switches and disconnecting them one at a time to see what happens.

The AX 15 does not have a neutral safety switch. My 99 has a clutch interlock switch that requires the clutch to be down to start, but the 95 does not.

I still say you're getting an electrical short somewhere. The only "electronics" associated with the brake pedal is brake lights and cruise control shutoff. As for the clutch pedal I don't think there's anything electrical directly connected to it unless there's a kill switch for cruise control but I'm not sure about that.

Does the fuse box next to the pedals look damaged? Any indication of rust in there or under the hood fuse boxes?

If you were to leave your door open so the dome light stays on do you see it go dim when you press the clutch pedal (engine off)? It will probably dim slightly pressing the brake pedal just because you are adding more lights to the system. With one or both of the pedals pressed does the dome light dim or go out when you turn the key to start? Just some ideas I have.

Ok, I tried all of that, and no lights dim, and i still get the same results. I dont beleive there is a short. i may just have to live with this for the rest of my Jeeps life.

Back