• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

is this worth the asking price????

jacked

NAXJA Forum User
Ive been talking with a guy about a D44 rear axle from an 88 XJ, 3.54 open, it has 152,000 on it and is complete. It was taken from a non running parts jeep so he never drove on it but he says hes pretty sure it was never wheeled, the pinion seal is shot and the brakes need to be all replaced including the drums. i saw some pics and its real nasty, covered in dirt and grime ect. hes asking $350 and i would have to drive 1-2 hours to pick it up. is it really worth that much?

well i got my D44 from a junkyard for 150 bucks. Has brand new brakes on it, and doesnt leak a drop...so I dunno. Do you have a d35 or 8.25? If you have the 8.25 it really isnt worth it.

unfortunately i have the D35, either way i want to go with 4.88s so i need the 44. i might look some more but so far i cant find one in any junk yards, they suck around here.

I sold one for more than that and had many people lined up behind him, but here axles go for 86$ in the yard so i couldnt justify that much.

Ive seen them go between $250 and $400 here in the PNW. Some you can find cheaper. :)

IMG_0447.jpg

im goin to look at a couple jeeps today, one is a 87 2dr for $400, the other is a 87 or 88 4dr for $600. the 4dr def has the D44 in it, the guy selling the 2dr has no clue so im keeping my fingers crossed since its an 87 but being a 2dr it probly wont, they are both 4wd 4.0. but if i can pickup a complete jeep for not much more than just an axle than hell yeah.

Down here in Florida, I have only found two....they want so much for them, they are still available after over a year....600.00 each....yikes...thats why I have a 8.8!!!

That's a tough price, but like people said, it's the going rate. I was lucky and found one hidden in a junk yard, got it for 125. Should have replaced the pinion seal, cause now it's leaking! the jeep mine came out of had about 76k on the clock before I took the axle out. I didn't re-use the brakes, went to discs.

I would suggest going to disk brakes over using drum anyways so the brakes a nota problem, but rebuilding axle seals and everything is very time consuming, so I would see if he would take a little less. cash usually talks

Back