• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rustys shackles easy question!

4x4 Station Wagon

NAXJA Forum User
I just installed a 3" lift to my cherokee. I went with the coils in front and add a leafs in the back. It rides great however it looks like the back of my jeep pooped it's pants. It is my understanding that the factory shackles are short enough that they hinder flex a little. (Is that true)? I was thinking of going with Rustys shackles since i like their slight boomerang design. HOWEVER here is my stupid question, are his 3/4" shackles 3/4 of an inch longer than stock or lift it 3/4 of an inch. Likewize with the 1.5"s

Thanks i tried to search it down but i had no luck.
Also it is sunday so i assume rustys isnt open???? :banghead:

It's pretty hard to screw up a shackle, even if you're Rusty. Shackles are rated by lift. If they say its a 3/4" shackle, it means it lifts 3/4" over the stock shackle.

And yes, a short shackle will hinder flex, but too long a shackle will screw your shackle angle over, and hinder it even more and also contribute to the premature sagging of your leafs, so make sure that when you use a shackle it doesn't end up standing straight up and down.

Well i recieved my rustys .75 shackles today. I threw them on and i have got to say they are built real nice. Good bushings, heavy guage steel, nice finish, yet in my application along with surely most peoples i have to say they suck! Now to explain why which unfortunately some people forget to do:
With out the boomerang design the shackle partly due to its beefy build almost hits on the rear bumper bolt where it sticks through just sitting on flat ground and does hit hard when flexing and i think normal driving even. I suppose i could have easily notched them prior to install however i figured that with rusty dealing in Jeeps primarily they would work however they didnt so now i will reach up in there and chop off the excess on the bumper bolt.

Just an FYI for others

Also with the rustys .75 shackles my ruff country lift now sits level.

Only my opinion however i would like to add to those who are looking for cheap lifts and choose to go with a three inch ruff country to save a few dollars i dont blame you i did however since then i have already purchased an adjustable track bar to relocate my front end to center since with 3" it is off a little more than what I would have liked causing all kinds of problems that others may remember helping me with (2" lift would be fine) yet with only three it is not far enough off to just simply redrill the hole in your stock mount. So then my next mistake i went cheap again and purchased a ruff country adjustable trackbar and guess what the nut that comes with the tie rod end would not tighten enough to EVER get the cotter pin in and guess what i stripped the #%& thing out and had to order a new tie rod end which YEP means i could have purchased a better one that may have fit better. Oh and as mentioned above my jeep set sagging in the back and i have enough miles on it to have broke in the coils so i had to purchase .75 rustys shackles and i had learned my lesson at this point on trying to save money however i didnt want to go to the TNT's only because an inch was to much i would be raking instead of sagging. And now since the non boomerang design i am hitting on bolts limiting my travel (easy fix but still!!).

Point is i tried to save money by only going 3" (avoiding sye kit) with less expensive lift and now i have about
Lift cant remember i think 250-275.00
Track bar with replacement tie rod 135.00
Shackles with shipping 77.00
Total: Just under 500.00
Could have started shopping for a nice lift.
Again this is just my thoughts and it is america so do as you wish i am only trying to save maybe one person from taking the same path that I feel was a mistake.

Back