• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 L/S options

lax17

NAXJA Forum User
What are my options for a Dana 30 limited slip? I figure I might as well get something full case since I will need a new carrier.

Track loc
True Trac

Only two I know about.

I have a True Trac. Highly recommend it.

Glen

I too have a truetrac. it has proven to be stronger than everything else in that turd. It was unnoticable on the highway, and provided decisive traction off road. it did, however require you to hold the gas and the brake for positive engagement, and I would not reccomend it for a standard tranny.

I'm thinking about going with a truetrac in the front and detroit in the rear w/ an automatic transmission, thanks for all the help.

I would say there is no comparison between a TruTrac and a TracLoc. TTs are gear driven, never wear out, don't need special lube additives, and has a more agressive lock up ratio. It isn't a locker, but better than a TL. Tractech recently upped the tire size limits to 38" cause they saw no failures with 35". I drive in snow at times, and in the future will swap in a D44 up front. Paid $250 used for mine. Yes it helps on the trail. It is perfect for me.

87manche said:
not a valid answer, there's a huge difference betwwen a limited slip and a lunchbox locker.

aussie locker!!!

Come on, someone has to convince this guy to go locker over ls!! I'm just giving the response that I would if a buddy of mine asked the same question.:angel:

I have a tru-trac and while it does work I would do a locker next time.

One reason I went with the tru-trac was for snow and ice and was afraid of losing alot of turning radius. Well, the tru-trac is stiff enough it does alot of the things a locker does EXCEPT for lock up lol. It REALLY cut my turning radius down in the snow, it turns like a school bus with a trailer in the snow :D. I only paid $200 for and I don't feel ripped off by any means. Hindsight bieng 20/20 I wish I would have locked it.

A local axle shop told me the older tru-tracs which are held together with 3 large bolts are the better ones. He said the newer ones with more bolts holding them together don't work near as good. Mine is an older one, if the newer ones are indeed worse they are not worth the money IMO.

Back