• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1986 Was a WEIRD year, need MJ info please

neonrog

NAXJA Forum User
A neighbor down the street from me has an 86 MJ 4x4 with the 2.5. I'm going to go and look at it in the next day or so. I'm told the truck needs a battery, brakes, and a windshield. The truck T-boned a car a year or so ago, but doesn't look (from the street) in bad shape, there is some rust so it isn't a pretty perfect example of the breed. No big deal as I want to use it for trail duty and keep my ZJ nice.

Spent the last hour or so searching for 86 MJ stuff. But not really getting the answers I need.

KNOWN to me:

4.0 won't fit due to the firewall wasn't changed until the 87 intro of the 4.0.
86 was first year of MJ, long bed only.
4x4s have a vacuum disconnect in the D30.
86 MIGHT have a semi-floating D35
86 had an AMC 2.5 and the GM 28 V6 (which can be swapped for a 3.1 or 3.4 BUT not from FWD car as the motot mounts are drilled and tapped, and something about the starter being in the wrong spot.

Sort of fuzzy stuff:

2.5, was that TBI or carbed?
What manual tranny was behind that? 4 or 5 speed? AX series or Peugot? How do I identify?
Am I going to see a NP 207 transfercase behind the unknown tranny?
Was the Metric Tonne 44 ever offered behind the 2.5?
Should I expect 4.10s in the axles?

Not sure how interested the guy is in selling it, he says he does use when he needs it, but if I make an offer... I'm more curious about the truck than I ought to be. But then, I feel like a dope for turning down an 88 longbed a few months ago.

At least steer me to some websites that have real info if nothing else...

Thanks!

neonrog said:
ASort of fuzzy stuff:

2.5, was that TBI or carbed? Should be TBI, IIRC only the 84-85 2.5 XJ's were carbed.

What manual tranny was behind that? 4 or 5 speed? AX series or Peugot? How do I identify? Either AX4/T4 (4 speed) or AX5/T5 (5 speed)

Am I going to see a NP 207 transfercase behind the unknown tranny? Possibly, but more likely a 231

Was the Metric Tonne 44 ever offered behind the 2.5? Nope

Should I expect 4.10s in the axles? More than likely, but you have to verify. Could be 3.55, 3.73, or 4.10....never assume anything with AMC :)

Not sure how interested the guy is in selling it, he says he does use when he needs it, but if I make an offer... I'm more curious about the truck than I ought to be. But then, I feel like a dope for turning down an 88 longbed a few months ago.

At least steer me to some websites that have real info if nothing else...

As stated, www.comancheclub.com
Thanks!

I personally put a 4.0L in an 85XJ so it can be done with a bit of work. I remember reading somewhere that the MJ didn't have the same problem. Does it have the horizontal radiator and have two hood latches? If so, a 4.0L is an easy swap.

"1986 Was a WEIRD year..."

I agree.

I graduated from high school that year.
My parents divorced that year (on my 18th birthday).

and....I owned 6 pairs of parachute pants that year....YIKES!

===

But on the plus side - at least I had hair then. snif:bawl:

While still fresh in my mind, I unbderstand the NP207 is heavy, but could it be made into a crawlerbox for a doubler?

RTicUL8 said:
and....I owned 6 pairs of parachute pants that year....YIKES!

What's so wrong with that? I had to wear them until BDU's hit the surplus market. Otherwise, I'd have a 30-inch waist, but have to wear 38- or 40-waist pants to get them all the way up (my legs were HUGE...) I just wanted to wear pants that I didn't have to take darts out of the back to gather the waist (to help the belt work - I always wore one anyhow, but the damn gather under the belt would drive me batty...)

Back