• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I goofed

Only In A Jeep XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I installed my motor. An forgot to put on the dust cover on first. I don't feel like pulling a motor just to put this thing on. What I was gona do was cut the dust cover so it can fit over the lower part of the engine. Any one else had this problem and done a simaler repair?

What dust cover? What part of the engine is the dust cover for?

If your talking about the Splash Shield that is Push Screwed to the frame rails under the motor, that should fit around all the existing equipment/motor to be pinned up with the plastic push screws. At least on my '95 you can do that easily.

Ditch that pos and get a skid plate:firedevil

Rick Anderson said:
What dust cover? What part of the engine is the dust cover for?

If your talking about the Splash Shield that is Push Screwed to the frame rails under the motor, that should fit around all the existing equipment/motor to be pinned up with the plastic push screws. At least on my '95 you can do that easily.

The dust shield between the motor and tranny.

With an auto it is not a big problem but with a stick, you just screwed up the clutch engagement point.

You could cut the shield in half (top to bottom), then slot the holes to the edge so you can just loosen the tranny, pull it back a quarter of an inch or so and slide them in from each side. You might even not slot the holes but keep the shield in two pieces, back the tranny away from the motor, remove the top bolt, slide the shield in, reinsert the bolt, remove the bottom bolt, swing the shield into place and then reinsert the bottom bolt. Repeat for both sides.

On the renix, the cover consists of the top piece and the bottom piece. From what you describe, it appears that the newer engines have a one piece cover.

Back