• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP!! XJ has to fuel up slowly

TMXONR

NAXJA Forum User
I searched and only found a couple threads on this topic, but no answers. I have an '87 XJ and I have to fuel up slowly. If I fill up fast either the fuel pump clicks off, or gas spills out. I have to just slightly pull the handle to get it to fill up with out any problems. I have tried holding the nozzle about half way out, but only got marginally better results. Has anyone found a fix for this problem.

There's really no fix for this problem, because it's in the design of the tank. The filler pipe extends through the tank almost all the way to the bottom. Fluid rises to its own level eventually, but it makes for slow filling, especially as the level gets higher. The up side is that it won't spill out if you tip over.

Matthew Currie said:
There's really no fix for this problem, because it's in the design of the tank. The filler pipe extends through the tank almost all the way to the bottom. Fluid rises to its own level eventually, but it makes for slow filling, especially as the level gets higher. The up side is that it won't spill out if you tip over.

I'll add one thing to this...

Your '87 was designed for 20-year-old fuel filling standards. Here in the glorious PRK, we've got evaporation-control nozzles at damned near every filling station - and they typically don't play nicely with fuel nozzles more than 5 or so years old thanks to state-mandated retrofits every time some politician gets a bug up their bunghole. Chances are that modern nozzles don't play nicely with your tank evaporative system; God knows I have to deal with the damned things shutting off at least two-and-a-half gallons before my 2000 is at the top of the tank.

Dunno if this helps or not since I've no idea how Nazi your state is on these things, but the tank dent suggestions above also make a great deal of sense.

Ok, thanks guys. I guess that I will just have to deal with this. I don't think the tank is dented because I have the skid plate back there.

Back