• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

quick answer needed

fuzzydog

NAXJA Forum User
To some this may sound like a reeeeeaaaly stupid question but.... I need to know.

Can I disconnect my track bar without supporting the body with jackstands? This is with wheels on the ground. My intuition tells me that the jeep will want to slide sideways off the springs....

1990 cherokee ltd - now with 6.5" long arm lift

you mean with the whole thing sitting on the ground? youll be fine.

if you mean while its lifted on a jack, you SHOULD be fine, but i would never condone doing anything with a vehicle on a jack without proper support...

Thanks - if I don't post back ever again it's cuz you were wrong and I got squashed....:)

The jeep is sitting on all 4 tires, no jacks, no stands. I just need to tweak the side to side position of the front axle.

There's no problem doing what you want.......at all. You can even drive it around with the track bar undone, if you wanted to, but don't see a reason why you would.

There is enough triangulation in the XJ four link that it will hold the front axle location without a track bar while sitting still, though the steering won't be very good if you drive it.......but it can be driven slowly in an emergency or to get you out if the track bar is totally broken. To bolt the track bar back up, just have someone turn the steering wheel until the holes align and slip the bolt through.

Goatman said:
There's no problem doing what you want.......at all. You can even drive it around with the track bar undone, if you wanted to, but don't see a reason why you would.

There is enough triangulation in the XJ four link that it will hold the front axle location without a track bar while sitting still, though the steering won't be very good if you drive it.......but it can be driven slowly in an emergency or to get you out if the track bar is totally broken. To bolt the track bar back up, just have someone turn the steering wheel until the holes align and slip the bolt through.

I've driven quite a few miles without a track bar. VERY sloppy in the steering....might resemble a drunk driving a car.....you kinda have to steer before you need to steer to allow the axle to walk until the joints bind......anyways, you'll be fine. :rof:

Goatman said:

There is enough triangulation in the XJ four link that it will hold the front axle location without a track bar while sitting still, though the steering won't be very good if you drive it.......

I've driven quite a few miles without a track bar. VERY sloppy in the steering....might resemble a drunk driving a car.....you kinda have to steer before you need to steer to allow the axle to walk until the joints bind......anyways, you'll be fine. :rof:

They are a bitch to line back up alone though lol. However it is easier than a UCA or LCA though. I always have one come in and out real easy, then the next one is a *&^%$ ^&*( :D.

Back