• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2wd to 4wd???

scarboy

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, I can get a 96 jeep cherokee 2wd for nothing basically, but its 2wd.....What all is needed to make it 4wd? New tranny? transfercase......driveshafts, axle....right? Any swaps on the forum or on other forums? I have access to an axle, x-fercase but not a tranny.....any advise?

Get it, clean it up, list it in the paper, Buy a 4wd. I have converted cars from FWD to RWD, from awd to rwd, and fwd to awd.

No fun, not worth it, pain in the butt. But it maybe easier of a jeep.

4wd tranny w/ transfer case. (I'd also grab the crossmember, as I can't recall if they're different.)
Front Axle (non disco will be easiest)
Front Driveline

Cut hole in floor for shifter.

Drive.

nekocopter said:
4wd tranny w/ transfer case. (I'd also grab the crossmember, as I can't recall if they're different.)
Front Axle (non disco will be easiest)
Front Driveline

Cut hole in floor for shifter.

Drive.

Agreed on everything but the shifter hole.....it's already there, just covered with a plate. Pry it off, install shifter, drive :)

Crossmember is the same, and you will need a new rear driveshaft, also.

Jeff (see sig)

you need the transmission computer (TCU) from underneath the passenger side dash. the engine computer may be different, but it will not affect a thing for you. also, grab the grommet and as much of the harness (from the tcu) as you can, it will help out immensely.

h2opete987 said:
you need the transmission computer (TCU) from underneath the passenger side dash. the engine computer may be different, but it will not affect a thing for you. also, grab the grommet and as much of the harness (from the tcu) as you can, it will help out immensely.

I went the other way, converted an 87 MJ to 4WD using a tranny from a 96 XJ. I did not need the tranny TCU from the 96 XJ. Everything plugged right in to the 96 4WD tranny, even the speedo cable was long enough.

Andy is correct. i was over thinking the problem. as long as you make sure the wires from the sensors (specifically the NSS) match up, you can use the computer from the '96. let me know if you need any information about the wiring. i should still have the diagrams around somewhere.

Back