• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

one gear maker better than another???

jacked

NAXJA Forum User
im just curious to hear if there is any opinion about manufacturers of gear sets and overhaul kits, the popular ones ive seen are precision, superior, and alloy usa. im looking for 4.88 sets as well as the overhaul kits for D30 and D44. just wondering if one is better than another, also whats a average price to look for? northridge4x4 has alloy and superior for $150 a set for gears. Thanks.

I have installed a few sets of Precision gears now...just finished a D-30....came out real nice....and a 8.8 is on the bench next.....call the guys at Reider Racing....great service. Randy's is held in high regard also...their Yukon stuff is supposed to be pretty good too....But I really like the finish on the Precision sets. (Dana would be best of all, but the ration selection is limited).

Like I said OEM is best....but Dana don't make a 4.88 set for the D-30.

Spicer is best, and usually are reasonbly priced. The only one to stay totally away from is Genuine Gear.

Goatman said:
The only one to stay totally away from is Genuine Gear.

X2

Motive Gear is very good also, as long as you get the better set. Most manufactures/re-boxers have two "grades" of gears. Never get the cheapo grade!

whats wrong with Genuine Gear I just installed a set for someone and I dont want them coming back pinning problems on me:hang: ..

They looked decent but we all know that dosent mean anything. What makes them bad?? He bought them and had me install them I always run Yukon because I have had good luck with them.

traitor5150 said:
whats wrong with Genuine Gear I just installed a set for someone and I dont want them coming back pinning problems on me:hang: ..

They looked decent but we all know that dosent mean anything. What makes them bad?? He bought them and had me install them I always run Yukon because I have had good luck with them.

Well GG used the cheapest, most crap gears they could find back in like 02-03 and suffered from breaking teeth off of rings and pinions excessivly. Then they came out with the "G2" series and now are suffering from thier POS sets from the past causing poor experiences to be voiced now a days.

Back then they ussed only China made crap and now I HEAR they offer the G2 series that is actually the better quality stuff. But even now Yukons 14 bolt 5:38s (only brand to offer 5:38's) are made in china. SO the game is all changed up.

Still from going through 3 sets of "lifetime warranty" GG sets in 02, I will Never install another GG item if I can help it!

I don't think I've seen a set of genuine gears break in at least six months. Either they got better, or word got out. Sounds like word got out. :)

I vote precision. Great gears. Call Reider Racing for sure, they will treat you right.

Experiance is the greatest proof. Search and read here for a while.

The gears seem a bit too soft? After not very long they start to whine and make a lot of noise, and a very higher than normal ratio of them seem to lose teeth under load.

traitor5150 said:
Are they just weak Poor steel?? Any proof to these statements?????

Sorry I didnt keep the pieces that broke off, 4wheelidiot's wanted all the pieces when I warrantied them each of the 3 times.

If you dont believe me or anyone else, then why ask? You could also "Search" for it on google or pirate or JU or JA or ? And I am Sure you will find alot of negitive things about the GG brand, YEARS ago.

Now like Cal mentioned, they seem to have dropped the POS forges and went better quality.

ive had genuine gears in my 8.25 rear and d30 front for over 2 years now and i punish the hell out of em at high speed in the desert, hitting washboards and mild jumps at 50+ mph. occasionally climbing massive dunes in 4low as fast as i can get her going, and ive never had a problem.i change my diff oils every oilchange and its always clear and clean, no metal or burn.

they seem fine to me.

ROBERTK said:
Now like Cal mentioned, they seem to have dropped the POS forges and went better quality.

I still vote PRECISION. Why go with a brand that took years to get it right? I have never seen a company that stands behind its customers like Reider Racing (which is precision gear and part of Alloy-USA).. Except for maybe AJ's Offroad Armour, but thats not really in the same class.

Back