• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

recommendations on rear window

okiejeep

NAXJA Forum User
Im a newbie and i recently purchased a 2 door. its already been an offroad truck for awhile and about half of all the stock applications have been removed or changed out. its missing the driver side rear window (remember, 2 door, its the long window). the back hatch glass is also out. I believe i am going to keep the back hatch glass out but i haven't decided what to do on the drivers side glass. so that brings a couple of questions. water is not an issue. almost all of the interior is gone and sprayed with bedliner with drain holes.

does the glass get in the way in viewing on the trail?
Is it better left off?
what would be the best way to make 'detachable' windows?

I live in oklahoma. it rans a so-so amount. its strictly an offroad toy. the terrain ranges from mud to rocks. no sand, no snow.

i would like to be able to pop in and out a window. but as far as jeep mods are concerned, im not that savy.

You could always talk to a place that does boat covers, canvas tops and that sort of thing. There should be a good shop somewhere near you or in OKC. They could make you some custom panels that are clear like a jeep soft top that would snap into place. All you would have to do is install snaps on the XJ. Seems like it wouldn't cost too much. Hell, you could cut all the sheet metal off the top, build a interior roll cage and have an entire soft top made!

I was thinking about taking the side windows out of mine also. I thought about using Lexan or something like that and some quarter turn fastners for easy removal. I wanted to do this on the back window also.

I live in Kentucky and it gets really hot in the summers. With a two door you don't get any airflow inside. We also get a lot of rain and being able to put the windows back in quick would be nice.

I was thinking about some kind of aluminum trim piece around the window frame that would remain there that the Lexan could be fastened to.

I'm doing this right now. I cut some 1/4" plexi. for the right rear and it's held in with rubber wellnuts when I want the window in. I'm making a new one for the same side, because I cracked it slightly in a couple of places. It's also getting a tint job that's almost as dark as factory. As far as the rear window, I'm not sure. My wife doesn't want me to take it out, but I want to replace that with a custom canvas piece with a flexible window like File 05 mentioned above. Fortunately, out where I work there are tons of boating stores of all kinds, so it shouldn't be a problem.
I still need to put weatherstripping on the lip that's left, but it hasn't leaked at all in over two weeks.

Back