• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Pressure Problem

Maverickj1

NAXJA Forum User
Long story made short, then a question:

I pulled my oil cover off to replace my oil pump because I put Lucas oil stabilizer in my 96 xj country and it started knocking. It was either a valve or a lever but I got this picture in my mind of that Lucas crap clogging up my oil pump and blowing up my engine so I figured, "better safe than sorry" and pulled off my oil pan to replace my oil pump. I also replaced my rear main seal and oil pump gasket which were both leaking slightly. In the end, this project took A LOT longer than I thought it would, and has made me pretty much made me hate my XJ for a while. Here's my problem:

I put it all back together without priming the pump. To avoid pulling everything back apart again, I siphoned oil into the hole where the oil pressure sending unit goes, in hopes that it would fill up the pump from the top (I replaced my sending unit too, by the way). Now, I am getting correct oil pressure and the engine sounds ok when running for a few seconds, but when I shut it off, the last sound I hear is what I'll call a "rubbing" sound- specifically a metal on metal sound.

How can I be sure that the engine is getting oil and that the pump is working correctly? I don't want to start driving it and seize the engine, but like I said, the pressure guage is reading right so it should be ok, in theory...

Sorry for the long post but, any suggestions?

Back