• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Decently priced good performing tires?

lancey3

NAXJA Forum User
Just recently got my lift done on my jeep, and i was wondering what kinda tires i should be lookin to put on. The road tires are kinda weak lookin haha. Suggestions anyone? I don't need uber-performance, but an aggressive tread would look hot. Another question, well two parter actually. Does lifting hurt mpg significantly, and would an aggressive tread hurt it as well?

lance

o here's a pic

3 in rustys, rc discos etc.
RedTruck.jpg

I have the Pep boys tires- Definity Dakota M/T and they are a huge improvement over the last M/T they offered- they have a little siping, share the sidewall with Cooper STT's, have a 40K mileage warranty and cost $99 per tire for 31's- right now they are buy 3 get one free. Can't beat that with a stick.
index.php

i'll look into it! thanks for the quick feedback

check out tyres1.com i got my boggers off there for $207 a tire and that was a 35" but they have good the best prices ive found yet.

I got a set of Firestone Destinations, because I couldn't afford BFG's after the lift. Love the look, and after a year, they are wearing great.

I'm running Hi-Tec retreads, they're cheap, around $300 shipped for a set of 31" MT's, they work great, I've been using them for 8 months now, only downside is they're a bit loud.

If your looking for all-terrains I would steer clear of the yokohamas. Price was good. And I had no complaints about traction or handling, but they were pretty much worn out at about 20,000. Wish I would of spent $15-20 more per tire and got bfg's. I've always gotten at least 50,000-60,000 out of them. (And the yoko's get very loud as they wear!). As for the second part of your question, the lift really won't change your mileage but larger tires will! Bigger tires change your overall drive ratios. I think most people that post on here seem to say anything bigger than 31's will require a gear change to get it back to normal. Maybe keep this in mind if your not planning on a gear swap anytime soon. Unsprung weight will also effect mileage (anything below the springs ie. heavy tires, rims, etc.). It can take alot more power to turn A heavy mud tire on a steel rim, than say a stock tire on an aluminium one. Just balance your decision between how much on/offroad driving you'll be doing. hope this helps...

Last edited:
Bighorns or Savaro M/T's, both run about 100/per and they are getting a lot of miles, my savaro's have almost 35k with 50% up front and 35% in the back

KarlVP said:
If you wheel more than you drive on the road, anything agressive.

If more of your driving is on road, the BFG all terrain can't be beat. It is the best tire for a daily driver. Ever. End of discussion.

I agree... BFG AT KO's are the best daily driver, nice look, handles well... and can still kick some butt off road.

BFG M/Ts...... gotta love the M/Ts. Ive ran the KOs on other rigs and just dont like them at all. They last forever and are not loud on the road but in the mud they get all stuffed up like a fat kid with hayfever. Basiclly turn into a pair of slicks really quick. The M/Ts on the other hand last for just a little under the KOs for wear and the M/Ts are a little more louder but will toss gunk out of the tire when spun.

BFG AT KO. ive had 31's and 33's and i love them for the fact that they last forever and are not that loud.... just about any kind of MT will sound like a cessna coming down the road. and especially if you are going for a good dd tire that you will occasionally going to wheel moderate stuff the at is amazing. MT's will dump your mpgs off pretty quick too.

I can tell you what tire NOT to get..

The procomp XTERRAIN. Damn expensive peices of junk. Handled ok on road, and ok on rocks, but as soon as I went anywhere near loose rocks, gravel, or sand, the tires started chunking horribly, and I wasn't doing anything crazy.. I can tell you one thing, my next tire is going to be a BFG, period.

Durango Radial A/T's, not too agressive, but a VERY forgiving street tire.

550 shipped on ebay for 35x12.50's

They say you can get 50K out of them, but eh gimmickers

Dayton Timberline MT's
Cheap, and they perform better then BFG MT's from my experience, personally, from what I have seen, BFT AT and MT both clog up just as easily. Dayton MT's handle exceptionally well in rain and snow as well

i have what i think is a great tire. its a trailcutter off ebay. never heard of them but they balance well, are like a 50,000 mile tire, and have a mix of MT an AT. run them on a daily driver cause they are not loud but have plenty of tread when i go wheeling.
l_9679904fb60c6a912a86c7c9232a2549.jpg

I have the Dakota MT from Pepboys they are badass... sure worth the 50$ i paid for them.

anyone run baja claws?

Back