• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 Steering wheel swap #2

cj11

NAXJA Forum User
Not to worried about safty issues or laws now last time I asked this question every one started fighting and I did not get to much help. So please this time can we talk about puting the grant wheel in my 97 with an airbag. How easy is it, will the 96 adapter fit, what needs to come off, will my airbag light be on. ect. I have put grant wheels on my suzuki but never had to remove an airbag. any help would be great

Disconnect the battery for like 15 minutes I believe. Then the airbag shouldn't deploy accidentally. Not sure though, but that's what I reach after searching on google. Can't find anyone who is using a Grant wheel, but there are people using MOMO wheels.

So with my mechanical 96 air bag wheel, I can fit a Grant Wheel that's for a 95?

In 1997, I believe Jeep switched from the 95/96 mechanical version, to an electrical version.

You may want to look deeper into that.

Maybe talk to a collision repair shop for some advice on how to safely disable an airbag to work on a steering wheel.

:)

It's pretty easy to do. Just diconnect the battery and wait the required 10 to 15 mins. start by removing the steering colum covers and on the back of the steering whell you will find 3 to 4 bolts that will allow you to remove the air bag and clock spring. with that done use a steering wheel puller and pull off the steering wheel.

Just be careful. If you are going to be driving this on the street I recommend not doing this, but if this will be a trail only rig then do so at your own risk. I have removed my steering wheel once so that I could change out steering coulums, I wanted a tilt wheel, and it is not hard to do. If you would like pm me and I will get you a copy of how to do this from the FSM.

Ray

Back